Does anyone else cheat?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

phoenixinpink

Does anyone else cheat?

#1 Post by phoenixinpink »

Lately I've been chewing gum sometimes, or sticky candy. I know its not good. But I've gotten so used to my braces that it's like I don't even notice them anymore. Sometimes I'll chew a piece of gum without even remembering about my braces untill it gets stuck. Does anyone else do this?

hannah164

#2 Post by hannah164 »

Oh I always cheat and eat stuff I shouldn't. Like today I put sugarless gum over my poky wire because I didn't remember to bring my wax with me. It aactually works. But I always eat nuts and gum and lots of sugar and stuff and I haven't broken anything lately.

-Hannah :frogbraces:

ricardo2

#3 Post by ricardo2 »

Hi Phoenixinpink,

I posted a couple of messages about a similar subject not long ago, as I was told to avoid it...

Most people seemed to carry on chewing and eating OK though.... In fact, some were even told to chew by their orthos!! Therefore, happy chewing!!! :D

viewtopic.php?t=6074

viewtopic.php?t=6086

Take care

LUCY xxx

mtbrncofn

#4 Post by mtbrncofn »

I cheat constantly. The two things I have stayed away from completely though are caramel and corn on the cob. Everything else is fair game!
Full upper and lower metal braces put on May 12, 2005.

Braces free as of April 18, 2006!

Temporarily rebraced Nov. 21, 2006. ( I think I've moved past temporary. )

Brace free again - July 26, 2007.

trinity1

#5 Post by trinity1 »

I also cheat all the time. I think after a few months in braces you figure out what you can or can't handle to eat. However, I have noticed that whenever I eat anything really chewy, I tend to break one of the loops on my powerchain. Have done that twice already! Just another excuse to see my ortho sooner than my scheduled appointment.

Morena_Prncss

#6 Post by Morena_Prncss »

I must admit that in the beginning I stayed away from the forbidden foods. But lately all that has gone out the window. I was feeling brave one day and ate corn on the cob! Man was that good!!! But it did take me a good 15-20 minutes to clean everything out lol.
Metal top & TPA-4/6/05 Btm Lingual Arch-4/05
Upper ex-8/05 Lower ex-9/05
Metal btm-10/14/05
Lingual arch off-2/06

H Rogers

#7 Post by H Rogers »

My orthodontist recommends chewing sugarless gum. He says it helps keep the blood circulating around your gums and helps after you have just had an adjustment. I eat corn on the cob by using a knife and just taking it off the cob. I pretty much have just stayed away from carmel and biting into anything hard like apples or carrots. I cut those into baby bite size pieces.

BraceFace13

#8 Post by BraceFace13 »

Of course, I cheat! Infact, I once walked into the office chewing gum, he didn't seem to mind. :wink:

Trixxcuit

#9 Post by Trixxcuit »

I've cheated. I ate corn off the cob. I ate gummy things and chewed gun.
But now I have more things in my mouth and I really don't want to hassle to get it all out.

braceface69

#10 Post by braceface69 »

mtbrncofn wrote: The two things I have stayed away from completely though are caramel and corn on the cob. Everything else is fair game!
Yes, that's one of the only things I've stayed away from too! I cut the corn off the cob! My ortho encouraged chewing sugar free gum to relieve the pressure. I always chew gum but I still stay away from things like ju jubes and gummie bears.