molar toothache = cavity?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

wiredwebbie

molar toothache = cavity?

#1 Post by wiredwebbie »

Hey guys,

I'm experiencing pain/tenderness on one of my bottom molars on the bite surface of the tooth. Is this normal?

I recently went to see my ortho to have the ends of my wires snipped because there's been a lot of movement! :D My ortho also put in wire ties on my molars during this appointment.

I know there is usually pain after an adjustment or when things move, but I'm not sure about this one. I didn't have an adjustment, and the pain seems different from when I first got my braces on. Not the same type of pain...I'm worried I might be getting a cavity? I've never had a cavity before so I'm not sure if it causes weird pain on the bite part of a tooth.

If anyone has anything to share that would really help me out. Thanks in advance!

ricardo2

#2 Post by ricardo2 »

Hi,

Sorry to hear that you're getting pain in your tooth. I'm not an expert, but I've had deep cavities & erosion in all my teeth, and have needed fillings in virtually all of them now. :shock:

Since my braces were fitted a couple of weeks ago, I've noticed the pain is worse - I think mine is just down to the movement, although they've always hurt a bit because of all the fillings.

I use a Sensitive toothpaste and I think that certainly helps a little.

I would suggest that if the pain doesn't get any better then go to your normal dentist - They would be able to tell you straight away if it's a cavity or not.

I'm not too sure whether mild cavities cause pain or not - When mine first started, the pain wasn't too bad until they went really deep and the pain was only then very sharp nerve pain. :soremouth: They still flare-up, despite the fillings though.

If you notice the pain is worse when it's cold, eating sweet or very hot/cold foods etc. then it could be a cavity.

Hope that helps a little.

Good luck.

Lucy xxx

invisagirl

#3 Post by invisagirl »

Gee its funny you posted on this topic cause I was just wondering the same thing! I figure if the pain is still there in a few days then get it checked out but if it disappears then it was just the tooth root talking to you about the movement its going through.

That's great about needing to get your wired clipped :D

2.6 years (30 months) with Invisalign plus 19 months 2 weeks with metal braces to achieve the perfect smile.

wiredwebbie

#4 Post by wiredwebbie »

Thanks for the insight Lucyeloop! I begining to think it really is a cavity. :shock: I'll go see my dentist after the labour day weekend.

Hey invisagirl, yeah, ditto for me. I've waited a few days and there is still some weird pain which doesn't feel like root pain. So I'm going to contact my dentist.

mtbrncofn

#5 Post by mtbrncofn »

I had a panic session about this very thing about 3 weeks ago. I started having this odd pain deep in one of my bracketed molars. I thought, oh no. I had to have 19 fillings done before my braces were put on so I figured it couldn't be a cavity already...especially with how many times I brush now. I worried about it for a couple of days and the pain changed a bit.

I then realized that it was moving and that was all that odd little pain was. I hadn't had a molar move up to this point so it freaked me out.

Best of luck to you, hope it's not a cavity!
Full upper and lower metal braces put on May 12, 2005.

Braces free as of April 18, 2006!

Temporarily rebraced Nov. 21, 2006. ( I think I've moved past temporary. )

Brace free again - July 26, 2007.

pembrokeshiregal

#6 Post by pembrokeshiregal »

I went through this a few weeks after my top braces were fitted. One of my molars was really aching badly for 3 or 4 days. I didn't believe that the pain was from the brace because it was different from the pain I suffered for the first 2 weeks after the braces were fitted.

After 4 days I went to my regular dentist to see if I had a cavity or something. He checked me over but couldn't find anything. Anyway, the pain gradually got better & I now realise that it was when that tooth "turned around". At the time I didn't really notice the movement but when I checked against my photos I could really see the change.

So chances are it is caused by movement ........ so it's a positive thing, right!!. But if you are worried then get it checked, just to put your mind at rest.