powerchain pain?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

fins

powerchain pain?

#1 Post by fins »

Can powerchains cause tremendous pain? I think that maybe the cause of my misery right now. Anyone know how long this goes on. I can't eat even soft foods that require chewing . I'm in agony. :(

alicia

#2 Post by alicia »

Well I haven't experienced the same problems as you. My powerchains do not hurt at all. The only time they did hurt was right after my ortho put then on. But shortly after that I didn't feel anything.
Metal braces
Top: March 30, 2005
Bottom:May 25, 2005

KittyW

#3 Post by KittyW »

Fins, your pain is normal. When I got my first power chain on the upper front 4 teeth, I was in agony! It took a good 2 weeks for everything to settle down. It will get better, so hang in there!

Kitty
Damon 3 - Dec. 7th, 2004
17.5 month duration
Debanded, gorgeous smile on May 16, 2006

fins

#4 Post by fins »

Kitty, I am in tears over the pain. I am really thinking if I don't feel some relief in a few days I will have to beg the ortho to remove the powerchain. I'm going to have to resort to baby food soon. I'm just praying the pain starts to subside. If I had known about this type of pain, I don't think I would have gotten rebraced. :cry:

KittyW

#5 Post by KittyW »

Fins, how long has the power chain been on your teeth? It really can several days to a few weeks for the teeth to settle down, depending on your individual teeth. My front teeth felt like I'd been whacked with a baseball bat! Even brushing them hurt. Talk to your ortho. Maybe he can give you something stronger than Advil until the pain subsides.
Damon 3 - Dec. 7th, 2004
17.5 month duration
Debanded, gorgeous smile on May 16, 2006

rooroo

#6 Post by rooroo »

Take 3 Advil and call me in the morning.

Or rather let us know how your doing tomorrow. My powerchains hurt quite a bit. I haven't completely resorted to soft foods since my first day in braces until I got powerchains. If your molars are not chained, try chewing with those. Eat some mashed taters, yogurt, pudding, even ice cream!

Whenever the pain gets a little intense, I always think this:
Hey, if my brother could get through 6 weeks on a liquid diet when he broke his jaw, you can get through 2 weeks on a semi-liquid diet. At least you can open your mouth!!
2 year Invisalign patient graduated to ceramics to finish up treatment

fins

#7 Post by fins »

I'm hanging in there (day 2). My powerchains are on the molars so chewing is almost impossible. I didn't sleep at all last night the pain kept me awake. THe ortho said give it a few days and it should begin to subside and get better from then on. My whole mouth hurts from the typical pain you get when braced, but this one area just aches horribly. Too bad my tylenol didn't really seem to work. I actually wince if I put any pressure on that side. It feels like I need a root canal! :-(( Funny how one powerchain can cause very little discomfort and another can send you into spasms of pain.

bbsadmin

#8 Post by bbsadmin »

Give it two weeks. My powerchains hurt like hell for the first week or so -- like getting braces all over again. Then it was OK.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

braceface31

Power chain pain

#9 Post by braceface31 »

:shock: For the first time I am wearing Power chains, had them put on the front bottom four teeth on 8-18-05. Oh my gosh are they causing some pain, but today (two days later) they are much better for me.

And by the way, I had small gaps in-between all four front teeth, but after 6 hours of having my power chains on, all gaps were closed. I couldnt believe my own eyes, but have photos to reassure what I have seen.

Braced: Feb. 9, 2005
Anticipated removal: May 2006 :banana:

fins

#10 Post by fins »

It's good to hear the powerchains work well. I've got a lot of movement to get done (I need the heavy artillary). I notice a slight improvement but still not chewing on one side (too painful). I can't wait for the day when I have no real pain and can totally forget about them. I'm ready to focus on my "countdown" to debanding.

I will say, after having full metal braces at the first go around, ceramics are beautiful and I couldn't be happier with the appearance.

Hope all with powerchain pain feel better soon!

kelly12300

#11 Post by kelly12300 »

I had power chains since day 1. Towards the end of my treatment they hurt really badly when I got an adjustment. It was awful eating for the first few days. But they stopped hurting a bit after about about 3 days.

Hope they stop hurting soon!
~*~Kelly~*~

cdwright

PC

#12 Post by cdwright »

I only have them with the last finishing wire and the first three days, it hurt but that could have been the wire(I could feel how tight it was before the powerchain was put on) more than the chains. For the first time since I got my braces on, I took an advil. Works pretty well.
Oh sure, I see Bart gets to have a gun. - Homer Simpson.

Braced Bobcat

#13 Post by Braced Bobcat »

I have powerchain across my upper teeth. They are VERY uncomfortable. The first night I couldn't even sleep because rolling over woke me up. Alternating Advil-Tylenol helped a lot. I also take two advil before I go to the ortho because I know it is going to suck. My problem is that I LOVE eating fruit and I can't bite!! The kids at the high school I work at are picking on me because I am going through the same thing as them!
Yeah, braces make me look 16 yrs but so what!?!?

secretagent437

it doesn't hurt forever

#14 Post by secretagent437 »

althought the first adjustment may be excruciating....they do get better. As time goes by, the pain reduces and you don't even know your teeth are moving!
Joe

Llamaland

#15 Post by Llamaland »

i got my powerchain on about 5 hours ago and i am feeling hardly any pain. How long did it take for the pain to start? i will check in tomorrow and tell of any pain i have had. For me so far the elastics have been the most painful but i still ate.