powerchain pain?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

fins

#16 Post by fins »

Lalmaland- I had two powerchains and one hurt within an hour and the other never did hurt. By day 5 I was feeling much better and all is good. :D You may be lucky and your powerchains don't bother you at all.

Thanks to all for responding. It's a relief to know that type of pain WILL go away eventually.

johnnys_angel

#17 Post by johnnys_angel »

I'm sure that your powerchains feel better now, but just to anybody who is thinking about having them removed: Hang in there!!!! It will be SO SO SO worth it in the end, and if you take them off now, your teeth will have to go through that pain again when you decide to have them put back on. It will get better :D
Damon 2's top and bottom, BRACED 02/22/04 and REMOVED 08/29/05. Now in bonded retainers (top and bottom) :4 wisdom teeth surgically removed on 12/22/05:

Llamaland

#18 Post by Llamaland »

25 hours since powerchain been put on minimal pain hurrah and i bet my ortho thought i was crazy for saying yay when he said i get a powerchain and no more elastics for the moment!

Llamaland

#19 Post by Llamaland »

Hurrah about 2 and a half days with the powerchain and i couldnt be happier hardly any pain at all except when i eat but i can handle that. GO you good things WOOOO!!!!

Qtgirl

#20 Post by Qtgirl »

I had mine (powerchains) put on yesterday afternoon, and I must say it didnt really hurt at all, just a tighter feeling in my mouth. I ate like normal for dinner as well. Now this morning--i cant really chew anything :lol: I have some waffles right now (soft as can be) and there is no way i can bite down on them--but i am eating still softly chewing it. Other than that if I leave my teeth alone its no pain.

Has anyone dared to floss their teeth after the powerchains? I have been religiously doing so--but it hurts when i try now. :cry:

MrMetalMouth1029

#21 Post by MrMetalMouth1029 »

I had to bump up this forum post because I just got my first powerchain put on yesterday. I wasn't expecting to even receive it, but I got it because my teeth movement has resulted in spaces developing between a number of my top teeth. I was fine yesterday, and it really wasn't bad today until I tried to eat tater tots and a bacon cheeseburger for lunch. I could only eat one tater tot. I had to tear off pieces of the burger and chew from the back of my mouth. My coworkers hurt for me! I'm encouraged to know that like the actual braces, this pain will soon end. I'm eating Manwich and pudding cups for the next few days :P
Braced (upper and lower): 10/29/08
Debraced: 3/17/10
Now sportin' a permanent bottom retainer
Alternate clear retainers every 12 hours

lovelyleo

#22 Post by lovelyleo »

Yes powerchains can be a pain in the mouth. I have been wearing them on the top 12 for the last four months. I have seen some noticeable movement but no sudden movements over hours. I usualy just take a OTC pain reliever and call it a day or night.

Debrace DAY Monday June 14th!!!!
24-30 month estimated treatment time

blindboarder2008
Location: in a house that has 4 walls, with lots of rooms!!! in Canada!

#23 Post by blindboarder2008 »

lol ya power chains are no walk in the park. I have had power chains on the top front teeth and most of the bottom teeth but I have them off now! they are a pain in the next for the first week or so then it seems to get considerbly better from there on in. I can remember when I got my first power pain on the top the ortho saying "You're going to feel it tomorrow," I just laughed and was like nah lol boy was he ever right! lol sure enough day 2 roles around and Here I am in agony! Luckily I had some soft food at the house so i just resorted to that until the pain got a bit better. Then (I tried my best to encourage more solider foods because I knew it would help in time and sure enough by the end of the first week it was so much better. So Just hang in there!!! Advil or something of the like is fine to take and would help.
Braced: March 19th 2008
Impacted wisdom teeth extraction surgery: June 20th 2008 1pm (13 hours of fasting)
Jaw surgery (upper and lower)Lefort 1 with Madable Advancement: June 2nd 2009 @8am!!!! 1 surgery down 2 surgeries to go!!
debrace day: jan 18th 2010!!!! *has 2 fixed retainers and an essix retainer for night time now!

acidcookie

#24 Post by acidcookie »

I started with power chains on my two front incisors about 6 weeks ago. I went in for my 1st adjustment last week and they put them on all of the lower incisors and the upper incisors. The uppers HURT like nothing I've ever felt before. I screamed in the chair when they tightened them! That evening, I couldn't even drink ice water...FYI there's some nerves that connect b/w your upper teeth and your sinuses. I found that out the hard way. My incisors are useless right now but chewing with my molars seems to be fine. I took ibuprofen sparingly the first day and I've been fine since.

I wish I had results that fast but I've got some pretty big spaces to close :-/

Although I can see progress already. I wish they'd close faster so the ortho would start working on my bite issues.

browneyedgrl

#25 Post by browneyedgrl »

I've had powerchains on my lowers since the 3rd month and on my uppers since the 5th month. Some months have hurt more than others and I happen to have a high tolerance for pain! I definitely recommend some OTC pain releivers for the first couple of days and definitely stay hydrated.

Additionally, I've also had additional chains from 3-3 and 6-6 to keep everything closed like I do now and waiting my my debanding in 3 weeks.

Good luck!

B
Started the journey for the second time on January 10th 2008~Ceramic uppers and metal lowers. Removed on June 2nd 2009.

[/url]

markGl

#26 Post by markGl »

Yea first with round with PC's on my lowers in three different places.. this is now the evening of the 2'nd day later and just a dull ache in my jaw.. nothing sharp... just there.. driving me nuts hah..no chewing in sight for me at the moment .. time for liquid bread hah

MrMetalMouth1029

#27 Post by MrMetalMouth1029 »

Thanks for the responses. I ate some chocolate pudding and some Manwich for lunch today. It wasn't that bad. I guess the pain is similar to what I experience after a wire adjustment. If this holds up, I could be eating regular solid foods in a few days. I wish I had known in advance that I was getting a powerchain, let alone the pain/soreness afterwards!

acidcookie

#28 Post by acidcookie »

I only had powerchains on my upper central incisors when I first got braced at the end of March. My first adjustment which was 10 days ago and included power chains on all my incisors. The first time around, it just felt like the rest of my mouth from the braces. The second time...OW OW and OW again. They made them super tight on the uppers. But hey, the gaps are closing.

staceyr2

#29 Post by staceyr2 »

I have had powerchains on a few teeth at a time before, but today I got the whole top in a powerchain from left back molar around to right 2nd premolar (had to have a band cemented on molar, so no pressure yet). Just six hours later, they hurt :cry: , and my top teeth are hitting my bottom brackets when I bite down. Those powerchains do seem to work petty fast, though.
staceyr2
(braced after age 30)
wearing metal self-ligating on both

MrMetalMouth1029

#30 Post by MrMetalMouth1029 »

Acid and Stacey, you're right. The powerchains do seem to work quite fast. One of the spaces that had formed is completely gone, and the others are closing in. I thought that I'd be in pain longer, but six days later, my mouth is completely back to normal. I had to remember to actually eat some harder foods in order to ease the pain. Once I manned up and ate more than chocolate pudding, I realized that I wasn't in that bad of a situation. I think I will survive after all! :D