Seriously sharp molar band!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Nikkiekoala

Seriously sharp molar band!

#1 Post by Nikkiekoala »

It has been a week since getting braces. I am beginning to adjust and the mouth owies are subsiding with the exception of one molar band/tongue contact. The edge is really really sharp. I have used wax on it everyday just so I can talk and eat. I don't put wax on at night. I have tried less and less wax each day so my tongue could get use to it but I am no closer to adjusting to this one band. Can the ortho file down the sharp edge of a band? I know dentists do with uneven crowns and fillings just wondered if that can be done with braces molar bands.

Braced Aug. 11th 2005
Damon 3's
Crowding
Crossbite
**My Website: http://nikkiekoala.efx2blogs.com/

momof2grlz

#2 Post by momof2grlz »

I would call the ortho and see if they can smooth it for you. Two of my molar bands sliced up my tongue when they first went on. I toughed it out and now the bands both feel pretty smooth. Maybe eating eventually smooths out the rough edges?

Chris
Top Ceramics: 10/11/04; Bottom Ceramics: 02/16/05 DEBANDED: 05/03/07

TheSilverSmileChileno

#3 Post by TheSilverSmileChileno »

exactly the same happens to me, they are super sharp, thought humm this must be ok, but now i feel stupid, why do they make it that sharp?

they dont know everything inside ur mouth hurts?

can i tell my ortho to smooth it or something??
Spacers-7-27-05
Full Braces on-8-15-05
I luv my braces...

Chris

#4 Post by Chris »

Usually what feels "sharp" are those hooks on the bands.
They can bend them inward until they are needed for elastics.
Once they bend them you'll notice a big difference.
Unless its the arch wire poking you. :roll:
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

Nikkiekoala

#5 Post by Nikkiekoala »

No it is the top edge of the band that is slicing my tongue. The hooks are on the cheek side and aren't bothering me. Today I have done better with the band, only used wax after dinner for a little while. If I am still having a lot of problems by Monday I am calling but if it keeps going like it did today I may be fine.

Braced Aug. 11th 2005
Damon 3's
Crowding
Crossbite

TheSilverSmileChileno

#6 Post by TheSilverSmileChileno »

Nikkiekoala wrote:No it is the top edge of the band that is slicing my tongue. The hooks are on the cheek side and aren't bothering me. Today I have done better with the band, only used wax after dinner for a little while. If I am still having a lot of problems by Monday I am calling but if it keeps going like it did today I may be fine.
yep i ment the inside also...

are we on the same track

the inside it whats hurts my tonge...
Spacers-7-27-05
Full Braces on-8-15-05
I luv my braces...

tcw

#7 Post by tcw »

I had to go back and get my bands smoothed out also. I asked the tech what it was, and he showed me one of the bands. While your problem was the edge, my was different.

In a nutshell, there is a small protrusion that they use to push down when putting it on. I also understand that it is required when they are taken off as well.

He said that he can't flatten it all the way because it would prevent the orther from being able to remove the band.

I think there is room for invention on this... I just haven't had the time yet. ;)

Nikkiekoala

#8 Post by Nikkiekoala »

Yes it is something that sticks out ever so slightly that I am noticing. It is close to the top edge of the band. They all have it but bothers me on just this one band to tongue contact. I haven't called yet about getting it smoothed out. I am able to deal with it most times but on occasion it really catches me.

Braced Aug. 11th 2005
Damon 3's
Crowding
Crossbite

TheSilverSmileChileno

#9 Post by TheSilverSmileChileno »

argh,,, yeah i understand it now,. but ARGH!! its suepersharp!
Spacers-7-27-05
Full Braces on-8-15-05
I luv my braces...

metal mouth

#10 Post by metal mouth »

Call your ortho office. Mine did that, but I took pliers to my own band, because it was soooooo bad. When I went in they did the same thing I did. After my tongue healed, it was much better.
Harley Momma with Metal :-)
[/url]

Chris

#11 Post by Chris »

My bands are all very smooth and tight against my molars.
I don't even know they are there.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

TuZZi

#12 Post by TuZZi »

I know I mentioned to my ortho and assistants about my tongue being in rough shape before I got my bands and braces in, but it seems they only had thought of my lower bands, and the lingual arch, as those are super smooth. But, my upper bands are tearing into my tongue, enough that one side of my tongue is inflamed, and there are at least 5 tastebuds that are white and about to fall off. The other side was really bugging me as well, but I haven't had wax on it now for a day and it seems to be ok.

I can't seem to get the wax to stay on the bad band... it was fine on there the first couple days and it wouldn't come off when I slept. But now, I've had to re-apply it numerous times today and it just keeps coming off.

I've gone through a whole package of wax in 4 days, and there's not even 1 store in town I can buy wax from! The ortho isn't open until tuesday, and even then, the assistants are on holidays, and the ortho himself is off with his other patients in other towns.... so there's no hope of getting the actual band fixed until my next appointment. I have a feeling I'm going to be using a whole lot of orajel and ice to get rid of the pain.

Just when I thought I was getting used to the whole eating thing... my tongue is too sore to even talk. :(
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=6100
Full On Metal! Aug 31, 2005
4 Bicuspids extracted Sept 26-27 2005
Disbanded n loving it - June 12, 2007!

SugarHiccup

#13 Post by SugarHiccup »

Seriously, call your ortho.

Mine were like that, and I thought they were 'supposed' to be. The whole right side of my tongue was cut open from it, and eventually my mother called ortho because she didn't think it was normal.

It wasnt. He forgot to file them down. 5 minute appointment with him and a file ... and I was pain free.

You dont have to put up with it!
[[ Alex: Thank you, you've offered a provocative theory. What it lacks in substance, it makes up for in pretty colors. ]]

Aggiegal

#14 Post by Aggiegal »

My molar bands were killing me too and even after the ortho crimped a few corners they were still bothering me. It turns out I have a very sensitive tongue so I still put wax on all 4 molar bands, even after 4 months.