Mewing Can Cause Problems - AAO Warns Against It

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bbsadmin

Mewing Can Cause Problems - AAO Warns Against It

#1 Post by bbsadmin »

THE AAO HAS COME OUT AGAINST THE VIRAL SOCIAL MEDIA TREND OF “MEWING” FOR ITS POTENTIAL TO CAUSE UNINTENDED AND HARMFUL SIDE EFFECTS.

Social media’s latest viral trend, known as “mewing,” is raising concerns within the American Association of Orthodontists (AAO) due to its potential for causing unintended, and potentially harmful, side effects.

Mewing, named after controversial orthodontist John Mew who lost his license due to unsupported claims, advocates for specific tongue placement as a way to reshape the jawline and improve facial aesthetics. However, this unregulated practice lacks scientific backing and carries risks of:

Dental Issues: Chronic pressure from mewing can loosen teeth, misalign bite, and contribute to tooth wear and tear.

Speech Impediments: Altered tongue placement can affect speech patterns and clarity, causing slurring or pronouncing difficulties.
May require complicated treatment to resolve issues

“While proper tongue posture plays a role in oral health and development, mewing oversimplifies the complexities of facial structure,” said Myron Guymon, DDS. MS, AAO president. “There’s no scientific evidence to support its claims of reshaping the jawline, and the potential risks outweigh any unproven benefits.”

The AAO advises against relying on unproven, online trends for altering facial features and maintains that orthodontic treatment remains the safest and most effective way to address jaw misalignment and cosmetic concerns.

“Social media is a powerful tool for informing the public in many subject areas, including Mewing, but it is not regulated by experts,” said Guymon. “Unfortunately, many members of the public quickly fall prey to theories that have not been scientifically tested.”

From Orthodontic Products Online:

https://orthodonticproductsonline.com/i ... newsletter
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

djspeece

Re: Mewing Can Cause Problems - AAO Warns Against It

#2 Post by djspeece »

Thanks for sharing, this is the first I have heard of this (I'm definitely out of the loop.)
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

bbsadmin

#3 Post by bbsadmin »

I've known about it for many years. Glad that the AAO finally said something about it. I think a lot of people are being conned by it.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

Dunnyet

#4 Post by Dunnyet »

Hi! I’ve never heard of mewing either! Sounds like a TikTok thing. Is the patient supposed to constantly push against their teeth with their tongue?? Doesn’t make any sense to me. I’ll ask my orthodontist about it at my next appointment, curious to see what she knows about mewing.I’ll stick with my metal braces. Thank you for sharing! Bring your bling and smile! Cheers!

js6js6

#5 Post by js6js6 »

Fascinating!

I recently watched the new(ish) Netflix documentary about the Mew family…never would have thought that there was so much controversy in the orthodontic world. FWIW, John Mew, the father of this movement, came about his methods using some pretty gruesome-sounding experimental treatments on his kids.

Though the outcomes you read about mewing SOUND impressive (as someone considering ortho work, it’s hard not to be attracted to some of their less-invasive approaches)…methinks it’s best avoided.