Adult Expander - How do I swallow properly?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

TJ5544

Adult Expander - How do I swallow properly?

#1 Post by TJ5544 »

I got my upper expander installed 3 days ago, and I am literally a drool factory. My biggest challenge right now is swallowing. The second I got up from the chair after they had installed my expander, I asked the assistant how to swallow. She just nonchalantly said, "Put your tongue on the roof of your mouth and swallow." Literally how? There's a metal bar there. And it's 1 cm lower than the roof of my mouth, so it only allows like 20% of my tongue to touch than normal. Before the expander, I would swallow my placing my tip of my tongue on the roof of my mouth, then "roll" the rest of it back towards my throat to push the food. Now, since the metal expander is there, I just scrape my poor tongue over it. I've been trying different ways to swallow.. most result in me choking on my food, or the massive amounts of saliva I've been producing. I've never been more conscious about how much I swallow in a day, and it has probably quadrupled in the last 3 days.

This was mostly just a rant, but does anyone have any tips on swallowing?

Also, I've been using Peroxyl 3-4x a day, which helps a ton. But my tongue is still sore and gets irritated very easily. Do I just count on callouses forming eventually? Will this get easier? It's only been 3 days and I have to have this thing in my face for over 6 months :(

djspeece

Re: Adult Expander - How do I swallow properly?

#2 Post by djspeece »

Sounds pretty difficult -- I hope you are feeling better soon. I have not had to experience the joys of an expander, but did do a search on this board for "Adult Expander" and then narrowed with the term "swallow": search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&keyw ... %5B%5D=13 . A few of the threads seem to have vigorous discussions and I hope you can find some useful advice. Best of luck to you.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying