New here

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

chele

New here

#1 Post by chele »

Just a little hello from a newbie, with braces bottom and top along with a TPA. Who’s made a big decision at 52 to get them done. I have an overbite and a 7mm gap and 9mm protruding front tooth. It’s not about vanity it’s about how I feel! But why when I said to people about my braces are so judgemental!!
PS how long does it take for my lisp to go with a TPA!
Thank you x

Strictly1

Re: New here

#2 Post by Strictly1 »

Hello
I'm new here too and don't know how to post my query without responding to someone else's, so I'm sorry I can't help you really other than I have developed a list too. I fractured my jaw in three places (mandible) due to an accident. I had two braces put on the central fracture. I'm three months post surgery and only the last month I've got this lisp. As a teacher, it's really frustrating as my speech in general has been impaired due to muscle stiffness. I see a physio twice a week who massages muscles and tells me the lisp will go 'in time.' One of the plates is so uncomfortable, the one just below my teeth. I'm lost and don't know where to go on this. You were very courageous and I hope everything works out well for you. Well done for doing it at 52! That's encouraging for many.

djspeece

#3 Post by djspeece »

Welcome to the board! Things are quiet around here lately, and I can't directly provide any words of wisdom, but I did do a search on "TPA + lisp" and came up with these results search.php?keywords=TPA+%2B+lisp&fid%5B0%5D=13 . The search function works fairly well (located near the top left of your screen) and you can further search within those results. Best of luck to you!
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

trifecta

#4 Post by trifecta »

Hi chele. Sounds like you have had some non supportive reactions to getting braces? Sorry to hear that. I had braces in my fifties to close some spaces left by my high school orthodontist and just finished a third round to close some annoying spaced between the molars in my sixties. I have found most people either don't notice / care or are very supportive. Best of luck and hang in there!