I need advice on my edge-to-edge bite. I'm about to go crazy

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

desperateforhelp

I need advice on my edge-to-edge bite. I'm about to go crazy

#1 Post by desperateforhelp »

I'm currently 19, and have had braces twice in my life. I had them on when was 11-14, had them off, but an edge-to-edge bite developed because my lower jaw continued to grow forward (despite my teeth not shifting). At first, my ortho tried to shift my bite with a hawley retainer and some elastic bands, but it didn't work. I was put on just lower braces again from 16-17, and my ortho put on the uppers when I was 18. My orthodontist was kind enough to give me the second round of treatment for free.

The second braces made my bite marginally better. I got them off a few days ago, and my bite felt fine: not great, but fine. I got my clear retainers, and after a night of wearing them, it appears that my edge-to-edge bite has slightly returned. I can barely bite down because my front teeth are hitting each other. I'm literally about to go insane. What can I do?

I'm a college student that is attending a college out of my home state, so this makes the situation a lot trickier. At this point, I'm tired of metal braces. Should I also consider invisalign/jaw surgery? I am so sick and tired of my teeth.

bigopenbite

Re: I need advice on my edge-to-edge bite. I'm about to go crazy

#2 Post by bigopenbite »

Sounds like you are class 3. I'd see what an ortho thinks, tell them you're not happy, usually they don't like to leave people class 3. If braces/elastic did not work there are other options. If recommended surgery may work but it's a difficult recovery. I'd also ask about TAD's or a facemask If I was class 3.

djspeece

#3 Post by djspeece »

You might benefit from a consult with an oralmaxillofacial surgeon, or perhaps another orthodontist. I did do a search on "edge to edge bite" on this forum with these results search.php?keywords=edge+to+edge+bite&fid%5B0%5D=13 . You may want to do the same on some of the other forums here, particularly the one on oral surgery. Best of luck to you.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

js6js6

#4 Post by js6js6 »

This sounds like my situation exactly (though, I’m a good bit older than you). I’m sure my memory is foggy, but I seem to remember my bite going edge-to-edge almost immediately after getting my braces off. My dumb teenage self figured that things would “figure themselves out” over time, but…yeah, no, that’s not how it works.

Haven’t bit the bullet yet, but am seriously considering braces again due to that, as well as a pesky open bite issue that showed up in my 20s (I assume unrelated to the edge-to-edge issue, but who knows).

Anyway, sorry for rambling - just here to commiserate! Hope you find (or found) a solution that works for you!