Braces Round 2.. Cankers suck.

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

wiredbee

Braces Round 2.. Cankers suck.

#1 Post by wiredbee »

Hi all. I first had braces about 20 years ago. I had a lot more issues then, so had needed a palate expander and an appliance that was attached to both sides of my jaw (maybe Herbst, but forsus also looks familiar) in addition to a full set of braces. Unfortunately I wasn’t very compliant with my retainer after, partly because my lips were constantly dry as the retainer was one piece for both sets of teeth.

20 years later and one erupted and crowded wisdom tooth later, my upper teeth are no longer properly at the midline and my bottom teeth have also shifted a bit (the bottom perhaps in part due to getting a dental implant). I just spent the last 4.5 months with a carriere distalizer attached to my upper left molars - boy was that unpleasant. It was removed yesterday and I’m now wearing a full set of braces again. A little sore but so far not as bad as the discomfort I experienced from the carriere retainer. The main annoyance is that I’m very prone to cankers - I wasn’t expecting my first one to show up on day 2. Any favourite strategies to deal with cankers? I had this problem during braces round one, but mostly just toughed it out. The cankers I suspect will be worst around my upper lip as I have a bit of lip incompetence and so need to stretch it more to close my mouth or lick my lips. Got some ortho dots and dental wax but found I wasn’t the best at keeping either attached to the carriere for long. They said my overall treatment would be about 1.5 years (and I got the carriere off a bit early, so hopefully less if I’m lucky).

djspeece

Re: Braces Round 2.. Cankers suck.

#2 Post by djspeece »

Welcome to the board! I don't have any great answers, but I did search this forum on "cankers", results = https://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/searc ... 5B0%5D=13 . Hopefully you'll find some helpful advise amongst the results. Sounds like you have really been through the mill -- best of luck to you!
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

wiredbee

#3 Post by wiredbee »

Thanks.. It seems like the worst of the cankers is over (for now). Not sure if it helped, but I did a lot of salt water rinses. Ortho dots were probably the biggest pain reducer, though they didn't stay on particularly long (long enough I think to help some of the healing). Now hoping the braces work relatively quickly, if only on the canine that the carriere pulled down (it has affected my ability to chew quite a bit).

djspeece

#4 Post by djspeece »

Good to hear, and best of luck to you!
Dan

trifecta

#5 Post by trifecta »

Glad to hear that you are doing better, Cankers do suck. Salt rinses help but they kind of condense the pain temporarily then some temporary relief.
In case you get a recurrence, most general dental offices have some variation of a "Magic Mouthwash" Has lidocaine viscous and sometimes some
kaolin and occasionally some steroids for severe ulcers. The mouthwash is typically made up by a compounding pharmacy. Can be helpful providing
some coating action and pain relief but not a cure.

djspeece

#6 Post by djspeece »

trifecta wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 1:26 pm Glad to hear that you are doing better, Cankers do suck. Salt rinses help but they kind of condense the pain temporarily then some temporary relief.
In case you get a recurrence, most general dental offices have some variation of a "Magic Mouthwash" Has lidocaine viscous and sometimes some
kaolin and occasionally some steroids for severe ulcers. The mouthwash is typically made up by a compounding pharmacy. Can be helpful providing
some coating action and pain relief but not a cure.
Great advice (Trifecta is a dentist)! Lynne, can this be made a stickie at the top of the board?
Dan

bbsadmin

#7 Post by bbsadmin »

Made it a sticky. Good suggestion!!!
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

djspeece

#8 Post by djspeece »

Thank you!
Dan

wiredbee

#9 Post by wiredbee »

Thanks for the suggestion, I’ll ask about the mouthwash if I’m still having canker issues by my first braces follow up. I had at least 6 cankers by the end of week one of braces (most I could deal with, but one was huge and on my salivary gland - it liked to hook onto my braces and so I really needed those ortho dots).

I have actually been given steroids in the past for my cankers as I’ll occasionally get more severe ones. That was a godsend (I still have the tube but it’s expired and I can’t recall the directions anyway).

lsmith22

#10 Post by lsmith22 »

I know what you mean just got metal braces again two weeks ago for the second time at age 64 I forgot about canker sores but salt water rinse seems to help with me.

Ross

#11 Post by Ross »

Hello,

One strategy to alleviate this discomfort is to use ortho wax. You can also find free images or diagrams of proper application techniques online.