Are my rubber bands placed incorrectly?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

AmyA

Are my rubber bands placed incorrectly?

#1 Post by AmyA »

I just got rubber bands for the first time yesterday, and I’m a little confused about the placement of my class ii rubber bands (or what I’m assuming are class ii based on everything I’ve read). This is how the orthodontic assistant put them on before I left, but from everything I’ve read, my rubber bands should go from my upper canine to my lower first molar. Instead, they have the bands going from my upper canines to my second premolars on both sides. Is that typical??

trifecta

Re: Are my rubber bands placed incorrectly?

#2 Post by trifecta »

Hi AmyA. You are correct in that class II elastics generally run from the upper cuspid to the lower first molar. When I have worn class II elastics that was the set up. Molar brackets generally have a tube for the archwire to slide through and have a hook for elastics as part of the bracket. Premolar brackets on the other hand have a slot for the archwire and are either self ligating like mine or use the elastic ligatures to hold the archwire in place. These brackets do not have any kind of hook to attach an elastic to. To attach an elastic in the premolar area your ortho would likely have had to twist a wire k hook or the like onto the bracket as the attachment point for the elastic. If something like that was placed then likely the premolar is where your ortho wants the elastic attached. In any event, if you have any questions about the elastic placement, a quick call to your ortho's office would likely clear that up. Best of Luck!!!