Diastema and frenectomy

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Misscarmel

Diastema and frenectomy

#1 Post by Misscarmel »

Hello!

I’ve had my braces on for three months, just had the uppers added last month with thin wire and the bottoms have been on since December with now a thicker wire.

I have a 5/6mm diastema which is due to low fee I’m but also retention of a baby tooth. Which is still hanging in there!

Looking for advice on how quickly a large midline diastema may close, these last 5 weeks with the uppers is slow and I’ve not noticed any movement at all but there is an aching so something must be happening.

Any help appreciated!

djspeece

Re: Diastema and frenectomy

#2 Post by djspeece »

Greetings and welcome to the board! I am not a dentist, but from what I have learned here you can expect no more than a 1 mm per month movement toward closure. The search function on this board works very well, and you may want to plug in "diastema" and see some results -- see https://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/searc ... %5B0%5D=13
You'll see the data field near the top of this forum; you'll need to click on the magnifying glass icon to launch the search -- I don't think hitting "enter" will work.
Best of luck to you!
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying