Braces caused canting and uneven arch

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Huskydogmom

Braces caused canting and uneven arch

#1 Post by Huskydogmom »

Hello, first time poster here. I am in my 40s and going through braces treatment. I had braces as kid but always had a cant to my top teeth, even though they have been been straight for the last 30 years. My bottom teeth shifted from not wearing retainer, so I wanted to get my top canting fixed and bottom teeth back in line.

Now, my top teeth are looking good, but while my ortho was trying to pull my bite together, it pulled my left bottom arch inward and left side up. I hate it! It’s not symmetrical and looks weird.

I have addressed this with my ortho, but was told my bottom teeth are canting because of my face is genetically slanted a little. I pushed back and I said they were not like that before. Should I get a second opinion?

I didn’t have have any canting on my bottom teeth with my prior ortho treatment. I feel like ortho went too aggressive with the rubber bands. I had to show them pics of what I am seeing, but I don’t know if it can be fixed now. I’m extremely frustrated and it has caused me a lot of anxiety.

trifecta

Re: Braces caused canting and uneven arch

#2 Post by trifecta »

Hi Huskydogmom. Sorry for the late reply. I have been trying to post but kept getting an error message. While I am not an orthodontist I am a general dentist and here is my impression of your situation. Your post indicates that you had a cant in the upper arch before starting your current treatment. A cant is where the arch is not level in the horizontal plane, one side of the arch is higher than the other. I am sure that you know this since you had a cant. If your lower teeth contacted your upper teeth on both sides before treatment the lower arch probably had a cant as well, if not, only one side would touch. The cant may not have been noticeable but was likely present. Now that the upper cant is resolved as your post indicates the lower teeth would only contact on one side unless that arch is adjusted as well. If you are not happy with the esthetics of this then I think the trick will be finding the compromise that both you and your ortho are happy with. In the end both arches need to be parallel (not necessarily level) for the teeth on both sides to touch. Hope this helps and best of luck!