New member post

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ericheyclemson

New member post

#1 Post by ericheyclemson »

Hello all,
Per admin rules wanted to make my first post here. Mostly interested in getting either Damon braces (ceramic or metal) or the Empower bracket system. Had braces as a kid, but had lofts of shifting over the years. Had clear vacuum made retainer but I eventually stopped wearing it, didn’t like biting down on plastic as it affected my bite when I woke up. Mainly why I’m not leaning towards an aligner system. Nervous about the potential of getting braces so hunting around for support and topics on here for experiences. Thanks!

djspeece

Re: New member post

#2 Post by djspeece »

Greetings, You've come to the right place! The board is a bit quiet these days, but I'd also recommend the search function that is the small data box on the left hand side of the board. The admin has posted lots of pinned posts with introductory information about braces as well. If you live anywhere near the Washington DC area I would recommend my orthodontist, Dr. Andrew Schwartz of Capitol Orthodontics. I had braces for three years in my early 60's and have been brace-free for several years, and I was very appreciative when I found this board. It has helped a lot of us cope with the joys of orthodontics. Best of luck to you.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

TexasNative

#3 Post by TexasNative »

I am a new member (*just joined today 9-14-23) and do not have braces yet. I wore traditional metal braces in my younger years but was not faithful with my retainer. Fast forward to now (*I’m in my 50s) and I have decided to get braces again. Don’t want Invisalign and am researching the Damon Clear system for cosmetic reasons. Does anyone know if Damon offers a tooth-colored arch wire? I prefer that over the silver metal and have searched extensively online, but could not find any info on the Damon archwire options. Would appreciate any info on this. Thx in advance!

lsmith22

#4 Post by lsmith22 »

I got metal braces at 62 two weeks ago i was offered Invisalign but denied because I don’t think that I would wear them by the way this is my second time I didn’t wear retainers

djspeece

#5 Post by djspeece »

TexasNative wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:27 am I am a new member (*just joined today 9-14-23) and do not have braces yet. I wore traditional metal braces in my younger years but was not faithful with my retainer. Fast forward to now (*I’m in my 50s) and I have decided to get braces again. Don’t want Invisalign and am researching the Damon Clear system for cosmetic reasons. Does anyone know if Damon offers a tooth-colored arch wire? I prefer that over the silver metal and have searched extensively online, but could not find any info on the Damon archwire options. Would appreciate any info on this. Thx in advance!
I have not heard of a tooth-colored arch wire for Damons, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. I also did a bit of online research and could not find that option offered on promotional/educational websites. I would imagine that the coating would be difficult to apply and would probably change the diameter and therefore the effectiveness of the archwire. But I'm no orthodontist!
I had the tooth-colored brackets, which I thought would be nearly invisible (per their advertisements) but in reality, they were very visible. At any rate, best of luck to you!
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying