Braces on wisdom teeth

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Braceface2015

Braces on wisdom teeth

#1 Post by Braceface2015 »

Is it possible to get braces on wisdom teeth to straighten them out so that you don’t have to get them extracted?

djspeece

Re: Braces on wisdom teeth

#2 Post by djspeece »

I did a very quick search on Google and found this https://orthodonticassoc.com/oral-healt ... d-braces/ -- I hasten to add that this is a good question to ask an orthodontist or even your general dentist. Best of luck to you.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

trifecta

#3 Post by trifecta »

I have third molars and when my ortho picked up the second molars a few months into treatment I said you could go ahead and place brackets on the third molars as well if you want to. She said that involving the third molars would likely result in an open bite. How or why??? but that is what she said. As an interesting aside to that, when I had braces in high school only the first molars were included. When I had braces the second time about ten years ago the first and second molars were included and I developed an anterior open bite during treatment. Now I wonder if it was because the second molars were included?
Getting back to wisdom teeth, most of the time they are extracted due to space issues, not alignment issues. I suspect orthodontics would be unlikely to be able to overcome space issues.

Prometheus

#4 Post by Prometheus »

Halfway through my treatment I had brackets added to my third molars to fix an open bite caused by the initial treatment. She also used a "Propel" treatment and placed a blob of blue stuff on the lower 3rd molars. After 3 months the open bite went away. It was no big deal, but I did not like the Propel treatments, it is very uncomfortable.
Lower braces on March 11, 2015, upper braces added July 14, 2015.
Damon, metal bottom / clear top.
Braces off March 26, 2018: Total time in braces: 3 years, 2 weeks and 1 day.
Hawley retainers top and bottom.

djspeece

#5 Post by djspeece »

Prometheus wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:26 am Halfway through my treatment I had brackets added to my third molars to fix an open bite caused by the initial treatment. She also used a "Propel" treatment and placed a blob of blue stuff on the lower 3rd molars. After 3 months the open bite went away. It was no big deal, but I did not like the Propel treatments, it is very uncomfortable.
I agree with your opinion on the Propel treatment -- I had two series done on both sides to encourage movement in some stubborn teeth. The second time I had my general dentist numb me up.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying