Braces caused class 3 looking long face

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Hatebraces

Braces caused class 3 looking long face

#1 Post by Hatebraces »

Hi all,

I’m literally so stressed and sad. I got braces to widen my smile bc it was narrow after premolar extractions many years ago. I’m super happy with the smile now. But the ortho also corrected my bite - I had a slight overbite, perhaps a bit of a deep bite, a class 2 looking face, it looked flawless tbh. I was very clear that I don’t want my lower jaw coming forward in any way because it’s already far forward due to previous treatment.

But now?
I realize he “corrected” my bite anyway by opening it a bit - the jaw has come forward A LOT, my lower incisors push against the front all the time, I now literally have lip incompetence because my lower lip is too far forward to touch upper lip. My face looks way longer, my lips are always open…

Is it possible to reverse this ? Maybe it’s an orthodontic tabu but I literally want my deep bite, class 2 overbite looking face back. I don’t care if it was a bad occlusion or bite, I was happy with it.
Any similar experiences ? Do you think a a slight open class 3 bite can be corrected into a deeper, class 2 bite ?

georgialongxx

Re: Braces caused class 3 looking long face

#2 Post by georgialongxx »

Hey! I have had the same sort of issue with my face changing but this is after relapsing from jaw surgery! I would say they would be able to correct though.. did you speak to your ortho about it? Its torture isn't it!!! Noticing your face change is honestly the worst thing I have experienced, I haven't recognised myself for years now and no one will help!!!