Getting braces for the first time at 40 tomorrow. Is innovation good?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Jeepluv

Getting braces for the first time at 40 tomorrow. Is innovation good?

#1 Post by Jeepluv »

Undecided between metal and ceramic. Both options are 7100. Will be paying out of pocket to finally get it done. Has anyone had innovation self ligating braces? I have bad habits currently such as drinking soda and munching on soft ice when I feel stressed or want to relax. I'm not sure I could leave the ice habit. I ordered a Waterpik but not sure how bad or what I would be expected to eat the first week's. I'm also confused how some braces wearers eat chicfila and Chinese food every week without breaking a brace.

Danielle

Re: Getting braces for the first time at 40 tomorrow. Is innovation good?

#2 Post by Danielle »

I had metal braces. Nothing fancy. I started out drinking only water and apple juice with the every other day soda. That lasted a few months before I went back to soda full time. I didn’t get any staining on my teeth. I always used a straw and swished with water right after I drank a soda.

Ice might be a different issue though.

As far as eating foods that seem impossible, you eventually find work arounds. Sometimes food gets caught in your brackets or ligs, but you carry a flossing pick and you’ll be good to go. Also, cut your food into bite sized pieces rather than biting into anything. Some people get really good. I saw someone eating Doritos while wearing their rubber bands without it turning into a big mess. The more you chew the better you’ll feel after an adjustment. Good luck.
Metal Braces: August 18, 2006-January 14, 2009
Essix-type Retainers: January 14, 2009--present

trifecta

#3 Post by trifecta »

Hope all went well. The first several days are an adjustment to say the least. Did you decide on the metal or ceramic?

djspeece

#4 Post by djspeece »

Congrats on taking the plunge! I elected to get the ceramic self-ligating braces, thinking they would be less noticeable. The thinking was probably based on the advertising in my ortho's consultation room showing young beautiful models with perfect teeth with ceramic braces applied. They are noticeable and a bit bulkier than metal. I did not like the way my smile looked in photos -- the braces were not well defined and cast a horrible gray appearance. I'd probably just go with metal if I had it to do over again, which will never ever happen of course. Look for the thread "Confess your Orthodontic Sins" for some insight into the ways real people deal with orthodontics. You'll find your way with foods. Most of us have some pain/discomfort for a few days after an adjustment and the application of new power chains, and chewing is not a lot of fun. I think the only food I avoided was corn on the cob, because I could not face the work that I thought would be needed to remove the debris from my braces. I loved my waterpic, even had a portable one I used a work after eating lunch. My oral hygiene in general was greatly improved. Also, I found flossing to be nearly impossible, so I used interdental brushed dipped in Listerine instead. They seemed to do the job, at least according to the hygienist. I never quite saw the point of drinking coffee (or anything) via a straw, at least if I wanted to taste it, but others swear by it. You'll find that the braces adhere quite well to your teeth and you'll gain confidence in what you can eat. One word of warning, don't be surprised if a bracket comes loose from a crown -- within three days of getting braces, a bracket popped off while I was eating yogurt! That was not a good day. My ortho secured it with a metal band that wrapped around the crown, and it stayed put for the duration. Best of luck to you!
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying