Based off these initial consult photos, do you think my case correctly warranted four first premolar extractions?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

midtreatmentblues

Based off these initial consult photos, do you think my case correctly warranted four first premolar extractions?

#1 Post by midtreatmentblues »

25F, I’m having some regrets right now about the four premolar extractions I received 9 months ago for invisalign treatment.. I can understand why the upper teeth needed to be extracted but my lower teeth at this point of treatment have moved back so far and still have gaps. My jaw is uncomfortable and my bite is terrible and I don’t think my bottom premolars should’ve been removed. I’m in the middle of switching orthodontists for multiple reasons, but I’m stuck in my current tray for a month and probably another. Desperately trying to find an ortho that will mesialize my molars / remaining premolar to close the gaps instead of any more retraction.

Link to photos: https://imgur.com/a/qfsQ8Sa

djspeece

Re: Based off these initial consult photos, do you think my case correctly warranted four first premolar extractions?

#2 Post by djspeece »

Sorry to hear, but I don't think anyone hear is qualified to comment one way or the other. Best of luck to you, though.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

trifecta

Re: Based off these initial consult photos, do you think my case correctly warranted four first premolar extractions?

#3 Post by trifecta »

Sorry to hear you are having problems. I don't know that I would be all that concerned that your bite
is off mid-treatment. I would hope that it would improve as the teeth are moved to the final position.
As the teeth are moving, the cusps are not necessarily in their ideal position resulting in the bite
feeling off. Don't know much about mesializing lower molars to close the spaces. I am in the process
of closing a space between the first molar / second premolar and was kind of wanting to do the same
thing but the ortho didn't think the bite would allow the molar to move forward and still work so we are
retracting to close in the more traditional manner. Changing orthos mid-treatment is frequently an
adventure so good luck!!! Hope everything works out.