Positioner frustration

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

desertd

Positioner frustration

#1 Post by desertd »

I got my braces off in February. Was given a positioner in March, told to wear it at night, to try to close some gaps that were left. I almost wish I had been kept in braces a little longer, as the positioner is annoying to sleep with especially when I have a cold or allergies. It did close the gaps but my ortho did see a few teeth trying to rotate back, which it sounded like the way he talked happens sometimes with positioners. I am still overall happy with the result compared to where I started but it sounds like he may want to fix the rotations. If he'll put braces back on, I'm fine with that, but if he asks me to pay again, I'll just ask for retainers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Metal Damon braces on 3/27/2019 - Sentence 24-30 months - Class II overbite, crossbite. Braces removed 2/10/2022 (34.5 months), positioner since 3/2/2022. My story: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=54263

djspeece

Re: Positioner frustration

#2 Post by djspeece »

Looks like a pretty good result. I am curious why you were directed to use the positioner -- I assume that's the same thing as a retainer -- only at night. From my understanding the typical plan is 24/7 for at least 3 months, and then at night only. Best of luck and I hope your final result sticks!
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

desertd

#3 Post by desertd »

Yeah, I'm overall pretty happy if I don't think about it. Maybe I'm nitpicking a bit. Yeah my ortho is slightly unconventional with retention, etc. (he normally recommends 24/7 for only 30 days from what I've heard him tell others) so that may translate to the positioner department. I had a few small gaps he was trying to correct (see my last post under the link in my signature) but those are definitely closed. Will update next week after I meet with him.
Metal Damon braces on 3/27/2019 - Sentence 24-30 months - Class II overbite, crossbite. Braces removed 2/10/2022 (34.5 months), positioner since 3/2/2022. My story: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=54263

trifecta

#4 Post by trifecta »

Hope all went well at your ortho visit yesterday. It was my 9 month anniversary in lower brackets. Relapse, particularly minor relapse is very common.
Wearing a retainer 24/7 for only 30 days seems like a very short time to me. More retainer wear equals less relapse. You can see how it goes wearing
the retainer only at night after the 30 days but if it feels at all tight going in I would recommend going back to 24/7 for at least several months then
back to night only essentially indefinitely if you want to avoid relapse. As far as charging goes, if the doc feels like going back into braces is needed I
would not think there should be an additional fee. Good Luck!

Dunnyet

#5 Post by Dunnyet »

Hi- I’m fairly new to this forum, is a positioner different than a retainer? Or different terms for the same appliance? Just curious!

jem

#6 Post by jem »

Hi deserted,

While your teeth still look great, there does appear to have been a fair bit of movement since your braces came off. You will ( hopefully) only be doing this once and you have put in a lot of time effort and money into it. I would feel inclined to ask your ortho to get your teeth back at least to how they were at debracing date-whether through re-applying braces or using invisalign or whatever. This should not involve any cost to you since it was up to your ortho to prevent any relapse at this early stage.

I think it would be useful to consider carefully whether you are prepared in the long term to accept this slightly compromised result. If you decide at a later date that you are not happy with it or you have further relapse, I imagine you would end up having to pay for any re-treatment yourself.

Good luck with your appointment!

Jem
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012
Brackets added to premolars 2 April 2012
Estimated treatment time originally 6-9 months
. Brace removed on 22 July 2013 after 18 months and 19 days
Now enjoying bonded upper retainer plus part time essix/hawley( I have both)

Click here for my story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42194

desertd

#7 Post by desertd »

Update - I have retainers now. He made the top retainer so it would get start getting the lateral back into alignment. It hurts some but hopefully this will start to correct things.

jem

#8 Post by jem »

I hope the retainers get your teeth re-aligned for you.
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012

djspeece

#9 Post by djspeece »

desertd wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:48 pm Update - I have retainers now. He made the top retainer so it would get start getting the lateral back into alignment. It hurts some but hopefully this will start to correct things.
Like they say, no pain, no gain! Best of luck and I hope you are seeing some results by now!
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

jem

#10 Post by jem »

What type of retainers do you have?