Detailing means polishing? 10 mos to go...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Hollywoodsmile

Detailing means polishing? 10 mos to go...

#1 Post by Hollywoodsmile »

Hi!

So I was finally able to start the treatment back in Feb 2021.
I had a little overbite but my main problem were my molars, they were destroyed and the pulp nearly exposed, therefore the volume was flatter and lower and the molars were breaking. In order to get them redone dentist suggested I would get resin molars, straighten my teeth and then finally get the molar veneers.

I got clear braces and it has been 14 months now. I don't see a bug change or anything significant and today the ortho told me that we will start detailing, meaning she is polishing some borders and details. Is this normal? These are my teeth, good teeth and I don't want to get them reduced or touched at all, why would they shave off some teeth? Is this normal or am I freaking out?? Just doesn't seem normal I have 10 more months to go. Any advice or experience?

djspeece

Re: Detailing means polishing? 10 mos to go...

#2 Post by djspeece »

You are probably freaking out a little bit, lol, but that's part of the orthodontic package, included at no extra cost. Your orthodontist sounds a lot like mine, who I think was excellent. Very detail oriented, hoping for the perfect or near-perfect result. I would think of it more like "fine-tuning." Maybe she is doing it because of the greater exposure now that teeth have shifted a bit and she can work on them more easily. Mine did the same thing, even buzzing the lower borders of a couple of teeth that had a slight ripple in them (hard to describe, and I was just accustomed to it -- but it was a huge improvement. I joked and said that if I had realized that my smile would have improved so much with that little bit of shaving I could have save myself a lot of angst with braces. He joked and said something like "Well Dan that's why I do it at the very end, just for people like you." He had a great sense of humor.
There's a "sticky" post at the top of the list here that documents a time-lapse from beginning to end of some guy's braces journey. I forget how many pictures he took, but it is dramatic. Many of us don't feel much progress (mine was measured in the number of times I had to relearn how to chew food due to shifting teeth -- but they certainly did not seem to appear any different.) If your ortho took pictures/x-rays at the start of your treatment you may want to ask her to share them with you and she can review your progress.
Best of luck to you! Sounds like you are approaching the finish line!
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying