Orthodontic treatment time = Island time!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

trifecta

Orthodontic treatment time = Island time!

#1 Post by trifecta »

Hi all. I am smiling at my orthodontist today. At my initial treatment consultation my ortho said that my treatment time would be six months. Today is my six month anniversary since being bonded. No danger of the brackets coming off any time soon. Treatment time estimates for us adults is kind of like island time. It happens when it happens. Second time is was in braces the estimate was 18 months and the real time was 36 months! If we didn't want to be in braces we wouldn't have started. Don't worry, be happy!!! What are your stories???

djspeece

Re: Orthodontic treatment time = Island time!

#2 Post by djspeece »

Mine was similar. Before my braces were applied, I needed a small bone graft to my lower jaw. I asked him where the bone came from, and he told me a cadaver. I'm perfectly fine with that. My ortho estimated a 2-year treatment plan, which started stretching out and out - at the two year mark I knew I wasn't even close, and he would not really give an estimate of when it would be completed. When I asked why things were taking so long, he smiled and said "Well Dan, maybe you're haunted," referring to the earlier graft. He had a great sense of humor. I have very heavy bones which is evident on X-Ray. So once I asked him why things were taking so long, he quipped "Well Dan I guess you're just more dense" and laughed at his little joke.
You have a good attitude. Mine was not nearly so sanguine. Best of luck to you!
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

trifecta

#3 Post by trifecta »

Hi All. Today is 10 months! Still in lower brackets.

djspeece

#4 Post by djspeece »

It gets much easier when you give up all hope of getting out of braces :lol:
Dan

Danielle

#5 Post by Danielle »

Yep. I was just re-reading my own braces journey. I got them on in August 2006 and was told at the time it could be a year and a half or three years. It ended up being almost two and a half years. At the time it seemed so long, but now? It’s like, it was only two and a half years! Such a little amount of time for such a great change.
Metal Braces: August 18, 2006-January 14, 2009
Essix-type Retainers: January 14, 2009--present

trifecta

#6 Post by trifecta »

Yes Dan, you are right. That is why I say ortho time
is like island time. Things will happen when they
happen. Don't worry, be happy as the song goes!

Carno

#7 Post by Carno »

I've had braces on since April 2020, for what was supposed to be 18 months, but COVID messed that all up and I probably have 9-12 months more to go.

I feel that I would be done by now if not for all of the interruptions!

trifecta

#8 Post by trifecta »

Hi all. Finally graduated into the Naked Tooth Club, after 22 months of a 6 month treatment plan!!!

djspeece

#9 Post by djspeece »

trifecta wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 1:12 pm Hi all. Finally graduated into the Naked Tooth Club, after 22 months of a 6 month treatment plan!!!
Congratulations! I was a little disappointed that a lot of people that I worked with did not seem to notice that the braces had been removed! I was waiting for people to tell me how good I looked, I guess. Didn't happen :lol: . But I smiled a lot more!
Dan