How to find a sympathetic orthodontist

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Mrsbraces

How to find a sympathetic orthodontist

#1 Post by Mrsbraces »

I resisted Prices as a teenager due to vanity reasons. I have a significant overbite and no I need to put it right. I keep tentatively making appointments with local orthodontist and counselling before attending as I’m embarrassed.

djspeece

Re: How to find a sympathetic orthodontist

#2 Post by djspeece »

They will be excited to see you -- they understand the benefits to be gained, both dental and psychological, and in all likelihood have seen cases far more complicated than yours. It's natural to feel embarrassed, but these are things they deal with every day. I don't imagine many people stroll into an orthodontist's office full of confidence. I think most of them are probably attuned to patients with some embarrassment, especially adults. I was in my early 60s when I got braces. I had an extraction of a premolar due to a bad crown and needed to fill the gap. My choices were an implant or braces. Since I had some other fairly minor bite issues that needed corrected, I went with braces - but was second-guessing myself the entire time leading up to getting braced. And although my orthodontist had a large practice, I never saw another adult when I came in for adjustments. Just teenagers. Their parents looked askance, like they couldn't understand why and adult would get braces, and of course I ignored them. I think the team enjoyed having an older adult for a patient -- we are more likely to be compliant with oral hygiene, and so forth.
You'll know very early if you have a sympathetic orthodontist when you come in for an assessment. They should give you an overview of your options, risks, and expected outcome. They'll give you an estimate of the length of treatment, but that could change. You'll be able to tell if they are listening to you, and that is key. If you are lucky, you'll have a choice of orthodontists and competition is good. If you are in the Washington DC (USA) area I would whole-heartedly recommend my ortho, Dr. Andrew Schwartz of Capitol Orthodontics. There's not much activity on this board these days, but it might be worth-while to ask "Any good orthodontists near (your location)" and see what happens. You might want to do a search on this forum for "how to find an orthodontist" and see what comes up. Best of luck to you!
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

Danielle

Re: How to find a sympathetic orthodontist

#3 Post by Danielle »

Any Dentist, Orthodontist, or other Doctor isn’t worth the paper their degree is printed on if they make you feel embarrassed or uncomfortable seeking medical/dental treatment from them. It’s highly unprofessional and shows they don’t know what they’re doing. My before picture of true dental neglect was AWFUL. Seriously awful. And that self assessment doesn’t even include the sever overcrowding and major cross bite I had. I had consults with several offices before my dental and orthodontic treatments started. One very undereducated dental assistant took my X-rays and said “so what are you gonna do? Have them all ripped out and get dentures?” Before I could answer “yeah that was a childhood dream of mine” the dentist came in and told me the bones were strong and braces would be the best option for me after dental work. Don’t ever listen to a dental anything who looks down upon a less than perfect smile.
Metal Braces: August 18, 2006-January 14, 2009
Essix-type Retainers: January 14, 2009--present