Switching from Ceramic to Metal Brackets

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Teefs126

Switching from Ceramic to Metal Brackets

#1 Post by Teefs126 »

I've had my braces for about three months. I'm fnding out that I just cannot get used to the bulkiness and discomfort of the ceramics. My upper lip gets caught when I talk or smile, and they feel super sharp.

So, I've decided to go to metal brackets all the way. Initially, I chose ceramics because I wanted a less noticable option. However, with the bulkiness of the brackets and the archwire, they are still very visible. At this point though, I don't care and just want that bulkiness gone. Had I researched a bit more, I would've chosen metal to begin with. Now, I will have to pay an additional fee and go through the trouble of removal and placement again.

I'm looking for feedback from those of you who have switched from ceramics to metal and your experience.

TIA

djspeece

Re: Switching from Ceramic to Metal Brackets

#2 Post by djspeece »

I did a quick search on this forum using "switching to metal braces" and found 27 pages of results...unfortunately most were about switching orthos etc. However, there were a couple of relevant threads within the first three pages of results including https://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewt ... es#p508199
You could probably experiment with the actual search terms, or reach out to some of the posters directly. I think you need to have made at least 6 posts to do that, however (not sure of what your status is.)
I sympathize, I had ceramics and were surprised at the bulkiness...but didn't want to go through the hassle (and expense) of having them removed, and metal applied. Best of luck to you.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

Teefs126

#3 Post by Teefs126 »

Thanks for the reply! I'll do a search as you recommended. I'm not looking forward to the process of removing the ceramics and attaching the metal brackets but I believe I'll be happy with the switch. I went back and forth a couple of days because of the additional expense but figured since I'm having to do this two more years, I need to go for it.
I appreciate your comment. Thanks!!

djspeece

#4 Post by djspeece »

The other thing I forgot to mention -- you may read storied here about difficulty getting ceramic braces off. I had no problems, as my ortho had a special tool that quickly and painlessly removed them from the teeth. I think some orthos just try to bang them off or something. Not good.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

Badbiteguy

#5 Post by Badbiteguy »

Hi Teefs126

I had the same problem myself. I initially went with the ceramic Damon brackets on the top front six teeth and I thought they looked terrible. They looked terrible against my somewhat yellow teeth and it almost seemed like they emphasised any food caught up in the braces which I felt was embarrassing. They are definitely more bulky as well.

I asked my orthodontist to replace them with metal brackets and although it cost me I don’t regret it at all they look far better! I say that as someone who was initially very self conscious about the appearance of braces, once I had them on and realised no one could care less I felt far less self conscious about making the decision to swap. So I say go for it if u feel it’s the way to go 😊👍

Badbiteguy

jem

#6 Post by jem »

It is evidently a matter of personal preference> I had Damon clear on my top teeth for 18 months and was perfectly happy with how they felt and looked. I have never had metal brackets to compare them with.
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012
Brackets added to premolars 2 April 2012
Estimated treatment time originally 6-9 months
. Brace removed on 22 July 2013 after 18 months and 19 days
Now enjoying bonded upper retainer plus part time essix/hawley( I have both)

Click here for my story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42194