Remove amalgam from molar

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

uga

Remove amalgam from molar

#1 Post by uga »

Hi,
Yet another question. My dentist told me I should get one of my molar amalgam fillings removed to prepare my mouth to start wearing braces. To be honest I don't understand why I have to remove amalgam from a molar to replace it with white fillings. Do you have any idea why this is related to a braces treatment???
Thanks again

bbsadmin

Re: Remove amalgam from molar

#2 Post by bbsadmin »

I don't think that these things are related. When I had braces (granted, it was more than 10 years ago), my orthodontist didn't have a problem with it. I opted to have my amalgam fillings changed to white composite afterward because of the way it looked. But that was totally my own decision. You should ask your orthodontist specifically what is wrong with keeping your amalgam fillings in place.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

djspeece

#3 Post by djspeece »

bbsadmin wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:37 am I don't think that these things are related. When I had braces (granted, it was more than 10 years ago), my orthodontist didn't have a problem with it. I opted to have my amalgam fillings changed to white composite afterward because of the way it looked. But that was totally my own decision. You should ask your orthodontist specifically what is wrong with keeping your amalgam fillings in place.
This makes sense to me!
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

uga

#4 Post by uga »

Ok! Thanks. Will ask my orthodontist in January to make sure. The appointment to get the amalgam removed is in february. So still time to decide!
Thanks again.