44 and few questions on braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

uga

44 and few questions on braces

#1 Post by uga »

Hi,

I registered on this website a month ago and I decided to go for braces (It is not really a decision but more related to my tooth 21 that needs an implant). I'm creating a blog related to this topic that can be found on this great archiwired forum.
But I have some questions. Now that things get serious , some questions start to popup:

1. I can't find information on adult +40y MALE wearing braces. This worries me a bit. Is it because males just don't talk about it and women sharing more information on this age?
2. When I look around on the street I don't often see adult persons wearing braces. I think I will fill a bit ashamed if I have to start wearing them. So I'm confused. What is your opinion?
3. Are molar bands always needed? Does this depend on the type (self-ligating / non self lignating) braces or not?
4. Do you have to wear elastics if you have damon braces? (self-ligating)?
5. How to explain family and friends that I have to start wearing braces? This also worries me a bit (eeuhm a lot). I tried to explain to 2 friends recently but for some reason they even didn't hear what I was saying. OR they were not interested OR they must have been thinking: "You can't be serious. Stop joking." Very strange situation.

Any feedback would be appreciated!
Wim

bbsadmin

Re: 44 and few questions on braces

#2 Post by bbsadmin »

uga wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:26 pm Hi,

I registered on this website a month ago and I decided to go for braces (It is not really a decision but more related to my tooth 21 that needs an implant). I'm creating a blog related to this topic that can be found on this great archiwired forum.
But I have some questions. Now that things get serious , some questions start to popup:

1. I can't find information on adult +40y MALE wearing braces. This worries me a bit. Is it because males just don't talk about it and women sharing more information on this age?

Exactly. Most men don't seem to want to talk about their braces very much.

2. When I look around on the street I don't often see adult persons wearing braces. I think I will fill a bit ashamed if I have to start wearing them. So I'm confused. What is your opinion?

Well, these days a lot of people are wearing face masks, so you wouldn't necessarily see their mouths or braces. But they are even more popular for adults now than they used to be. Also remember that nowadays, some people opt for the invisible plastic "invisalign type" braces, so you wouldn't notice them.

3. Are molar bands always needed? Does this depend on the type (self-ligating / non self lignating) braces or not?

I think it depends on your individual needs, your teeth, etc.

4. Do you have to wear elastics if you have damon braces? (self-ligating)?

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe that you would still need elastics to close down your bite if (for example) you had an open bite. Elastics help correct the relationship between the top and bottom teeth. If you're talking about elastic ligatures (o-rings) -- no, you don't need those with self-ligating brackets.

5. How to explain family and friends that I have to start wearing braces? This also worries me a bit (eeuhm a lot). I tried to explain to 2 friends recently but for some reason they even didn't hear what I was saying. OR they were not interested OR they must have been thinking: "You can't be serious. Stop joking." Very strange situation.

Tell them that you are having problems with your teeth, and if you don't correct them now with braces you might run into huge expensive problems later in life. People usually won't argue with that, LOL!

Regards,
Lynn

Any feedback would be appreciated!
Wim
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

djspeece

#3 Post by djspeece »

I was in my early 60s when I got braces (I'm 71 now). I got them for a similar reason -- I could have an implant to fill a gap, or braces which would do that, plus fix some minor bite issues. I didn't talk much about braces because (1) most people didn't even notice them and (2) is really is none of their business. I never felt the need to explain to anyone, especially the curious onlookers. I got them to improve my dental health. Period. My smile was pretty decent, and I didn't have many cosmetic issues. Occasionally someone with a real interest would ask, and I was happy to discuss the pros and cons, my experience, and so forth. For my family, I simply explained that they were the lesser of two evils (implant vs. braces) to fix a gap. They were supportive. I am fairly self-confident in general. Feeling weird at first is normal; you feel as though the whole world is staring at your face, but in fact the world really doesn't care. I don't recall seeing braces on another adult male then, or since. I did second-guess myself a bit right after they were applied, but stuck with it for the long term. I'm glad I did!
What is really weird is that after wearing them for 3 years, my colleagues did not even notice when they were removed!
I second what Lynn said.
You'll do fine. You aren't the first male to get braces, nor will you be the last! Best of luck to you.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

uga

#4 Post by uga »

Hi,

Thank you both for the motivating and kind words! Will need it :-) I'll keep you posted!

Regards!

djspeece

#5 Post by djspeece »

When I was in a snarky mood, usually right after new power chains were applied, I would respond to inquiries about why I got braces at my age with "Well, I want to have the nicest smile in the cemetery." That usually stopped people in their tracks. (I crack myself up.)

For the lighter side, see the thread "Confess Your Orthodontic Sins " at https://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewt ... hodontic .
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

trifecta

#6 Post by trifecta »

Hi UGA,
Lynn's reply to your questions is pretty spot on. There are likely not a lot of us guys posting about their braces but I would not worry about that. No big deal! I got braces the first time at age 16, again at 51 and now have lower brackets at 63. There are many adults wearing braces these days so starting in braces is nothing to be ashamed about in the least. You have a dental issue to address and braces are a good way to address it. I know a friend from high school who had a rotated front tooth. Have seen her at reunions and she has had a crown placed to fix the rotation. Spacing is off due to not enough space for the front tooth. Braces would have been a much better option as she wouldn't have the crown and the spacing would be right. Possibly as a general dentist I notice these things more than most people. As for molar bands, as Lynn said it would depend on your case. Frequently bonded brackets or tubes are used but sometimes bands are needed. The elastics issue is again dependent on your case. The type of bracket, self ligating or traditional winged won't really change the rest of the case. If forces are needed they are needed regardless of bracket type. Explaining to family or friends kind of relates to what I said above. You have a dental issue that you would like to address and braces is the way your decided to address it.
Good Luck!

Badbiteguy

#7 Post by Badbiteguy »

Hi uga

I got braces a year ago at 49 (Metal self ligating braces) and say go for it! In the year I've had them only the three closet people I work with commented on them on the first day (all positive) and no one else has said a thing or frankly cares less. I would say to get several opinions though before proceeding and make sure to only go with a trained orthodontist not a dentist.

Danielle

#8 Post by Danielle »

Badbiteguy wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:09 am Hi uga

I got braces a year ago at 49 (Metal self ligating braces) and say go for it! In the year I've had them only the three closet people I work with commented on them on the first day (all positive) and no one else has said a thing or frankly cares less. I would say to get several opinions though before proceeding and make sure to only go with a trained orthodontist not a dentist.
Regarding the “only go with a trained orthodontist not a dentist.” Truer words were never spoken. I got braces at 28, and went with a Dentist/Orthodontist/Swindler of patients. At the time, I was most comfortable at her office. I really liked the dental assistants I saw most often. And overall I’m happy with the results. But she definitely now has a reputation for subpar work and trying to extract every last dollar from her patients. I’m 43 now and had to get a new set of retainers a few months ago. I went to another Orthodontist who was well aware of her reputation and had a waiting room full of kids. A big treatment room full of kids and decorated to appeal to kids. I think I was older than some of the parents dropping off their kids. So I kinda get where you’re coming from on the age thing, but really who cares if you’re 44 or 14? From your original post it looks like it’s only an issue to you. Your friends/family may have downplayed it rather than be like “yeah, I’ve been wondering why you don’t get braces” which woulda been way harsher.
Metal Braces: August 18, 2006-January 14, 2009
Essix-type Retainers: January 14, 2009--present