New Braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

vplovephotography

New Braces

#1 Post by vplovephotography »

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to introduce myself and I have a question about wires. I am new to this forum. I have been wanting braces since I was 12. I did indeed get invisalign 8 years ago, but after they never corrected my crossbite AND I didn't wear my aligners consistently. I was going to go back to invisalign but since I REALLY want to fix my crossbite, I figured why not just bite the bullet and get the traditional braces. I am a musician (opera singer) and a teacher (musical theater, orchestra director, choir director). I am also a photographer (Weddings, Family Portraits, Seniors). I figured since we are all in masks, this is the PERFECT opportunity to start braces. I have ceramic on the top, and I JUST got metal on the bottom yesterday. I am excited about this journey, even though my dentist said it will be two years. (YIKES). I had 12 wire on the top when I went in yesterday, and was although he was going to be put in the 14, after looking at my teeth, he decided that I was ready for 18. I am not sure what all that means. How many wires are there? What number do they go up to?

Looking forward to connecting with all of you.

djspeece

Re: New Braces

#2 Post by djspeece »

This board is pretty quiet these days, so you'll need to be patient, and persistent! I have been out of braces for 5 years or so, but the memories remain :lol: . You have an excellent plan, and I am jealous that you get to wear a mask to hide the braces! I am not sure how many wires there are, or what the numbers mean -- I assume stiffness or something. My ortho probably explained it to me at some point, but the brain cells holding that data must have vanished. I think I went through about 3 sizes or so. The first one was pretty benign, intended to orient the teeth to a more consistent upright position; the fun begins later with stiffer wires and elastics to move them around.

Not to scare you, but my ortho also had an initial plan of two years. It actually lasted three years, and that does not seem to be uncommon. I am older than you, and got them in my early 60s. I have very dense bones, it seems (I sunk to the bottom of the pool when I tested for the Navy many years ago. I had remedial floating lessons with some African Americans who apparently have bones that are more dense. I am Caucasian.)

In any event, best of luck to you.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

trifecta

Re: New Braces

#3 Post by trifecta »

Hi, hope all is going well with your treatment. The numbers on the wires are the diameter size or gage of the wire. There are lots of wire sizes and types. Wires early in treatment are sometimes braided from several very small wires for added flexibility. Wires are typically round earlier in treatment then may switch to square or rectangular as treatment progresses. Wires are also of different materials. Typically nickel/titanium early then stainless steel which is stiffer once the teeth are more closely aligned. The nickel/titanium wires have more flexibility and memory so they apply a more gentle force to the teeth for a longer period of time which equals greater comfort for us patients. Hope this helps.