Purpose of bite blocks / molar build ups

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

kingofsweden

Purpose of bite blocks / molar build ups

#1 Post by kingofsweden »

Hello!

I got my ceramic braces put on 1 week ago and also got this bite blocks / molar buildups on some of my upper teeth in the back. These things are super inconvenient for me and makes it hard to eat and worst of all i have a lisp du to my bite being open.

Do these things serve a purpose outside of keeping my from biting the brackets? Are they in anyway helping to fix my bite? Without the bite blocks i have a posterior crossbite and edge to edge bite in the front.

I think i will have a easier time to accept them if they are helping correct my bite so thats why i ask.

djspeece

Re: Purpose of bite blocks / molar build ups

#2 Post by djspeece »

The one thing I was grateful for during my treatment was that I did not require bite blocks. :lol: . I think you might find some comfort with the idea that they are helping your bite in an indirect way, i.e., keeping you from screwing up your brackets, which of course are doing the heavy lifting. But, I am certainly not an expert. The search function on this board works well, and you might try the term "bite blocks" or some variation if you get a million hits (e.g., "bite block purpose" or something). Lots of people have successfully, albeit unhappily, endured them. Best of luck to you.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

trifecta

Re: Purpose of bite blocks / molar build ups

#3 Post by trifecta »

I was not as lucky. I had blue composite on the biting surfaces of the second molars on both sides at the start of my treatment in 2009, Primary reason for the blocks was to open the bite to avoid contact with the brackets. I think blocks are also used at times to open the bite so that cusp tips of teeth can be moved past each other during treatment when this is necessary. A cross bite may be one of those times. Ask your doc if they are needed for any reason beyond protecting the brackets. I can relate to them being annoying! Eventually you get used to it, kind of.