Rubber bands ???

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Asymonee

Rubber bands ???

#1 Post by Asymonee »

I got rubber bands today and from reading online , there are different strengths and things. On my pack it states 1/4(6.35mm) 6.5oz(185gm) . Is that like extra heavy ? Also is that too strong to start off with adjusting ? I wear them on 2 of my top and and 2 of my bottom teeth to close my gap in my bite.

trifecta

Re: Rubber bands ???

#2 Post by trifecta »

Hi Asymonee, hope your treatment is going well! I wore elastics for most months for about a year and a half. I think I wore every elastic size and configuration known to orthodontics (not really but seemed that way) trying to close an open bite which developed during treatment with no success. As you said, there are LOTS of sizes and strengths. Quarter inch and 6.5 ounces is definitely on the heavy end but it all depends on what the doc is attempting to accomplish. I would not be overly concerned. The best way to get past any sensitivity that develops is to wear the elastics. Wearing then stopping when sensitivity develops then going back to wearing again only prolongs the sensitivity. Good Luck!

djspeece

Re: Rubber bands ???

#3 Post by djspeece »

trifecta wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:36 am Hi Asymonee, hope your treatment is going well! I wore elastics for most months for about a year and a half. I think I wore every elastic size and configuration known to orthodontics (not really but seemed that way) trying to close an open bite which developed during treatment with no success. As you said, there are LOTS of sizes and strengths. Quarter inch and 6.5 ounces is definitely on the heavy end but it all depends on what the doc is attempting to accomplish. I would not be overly concerned. The best way to get past any sensitivity that develops is to wear the elastics. Wearing then stopping when sensitivity develops then going back to wearing again only prolongs the sensitivity. Good Luck!
This is great advice. Best of luck to you!
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying