Round Three

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

trifecta

Round Three

#1 Post by trifecta »

I will be starting braces in about four weeks. I had braces in high school in the mid1970s for crowding issues. Somehow I managed to avoid premolar extractions but the trade off was headgear 12 hours a day for a little over a year. Started treatment in 10th grade and finished in the middle of 12 grade. My orthodontist did a nice job on the upper teeth but left spaces between my lower front teeth which bothered me. I am a general dentist so I admit that I am picky about teeth. My guess is that he was concerned about not having enough time to close those spaces as this would have required additional backward movement of the top teeth with the headgear. A little over 10 years ago I had braces for the second time to close the spaces between the lower front teeth. Initially treatment time with metal brackets was about 12 months. Actual treatment time was more like 36 months. Even went to high pull headgear for about 7 months after a year of not being able to get my front teeth together, a problem which developed during treatment, and needing additional backwards movement of the top teeth. Spent the year in elastics which I wore as directed with no success. That is why I suspect my high school orthodontist may have been concerned about having time! After treatment I wore my retainers full time for a year then nightly after that. Now I wear a TAP appliance which fits the teeth like a heavy duty Essex retainer. Despite this I have somehow opened spaces between my lower molars which are annoying bringing me to round three. My current orthodontist said she could use Invisiline but that metal brackets would be more efficient so that is what I am going with since we are planning on having only a lower appliance this time around. Hoping the estimated six month treatment time is more accurate that the last estimate! NOT looking forward to flossing under brackets again.

djspeece

Re: Round Three

#2 Post by djspeece »

Hey doc, Sounds like you have a great plan. As far as the flossing goes -- I cheated, as I was about ready to slit my wrists after trying traditional flossing. I found that interdental brushes dipped in Listerine did the trick (you can learn more about my sins in the thread "Confess Your Orthodontic Sins" via the search feature. If you can't find it I'll provide a link.) Long story short, my very thorough hygienist was very impressed with my "flossing." I had them stored everywhere -- at work, my cars, girl friend's house -- you name it. I bought tons of dental-related items from travel toothbrushes, travel-sized mouth wash,dental wax, and so forth. But that's another story. Best of luck to you.

Update: The link to the thread above is at viewtopic.php?f=13&t=46908
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

trifecta

#3 Post by trifecta »

Thanks. I carried around an orthodontic survival kit with floss, threaders, proxibrush in addition to the toothbrush and paste while I was in brackets last time. Most if not all of us adults do that. Teens maybe not so much. Traditional flossing is a real pain under an archwire but is probably the most effective. Difficult to get past the brushem / flossem routine. Proxibrushes are pretty good too as you noted. Had scan and impression today. Go back for B-day (bonding day) on the 8th then the fun begins!

djspeece

#4 Post by djspeece »

Best of luck!
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying