Transpalatal Arch

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Crooked

Transpalatal Arch

#1 Post by Crooked »

Hi all,
After 3.5 years of invisalign I now have straight teeth but a 9mm overjet. I've decided to have a couple pre-molars removed and will have fixed braces for 12 months to close the gaps.
Unfortunately this also includes a TP aka Torture Device.
A few days in its a bit more comfortable but its still pretty unpleasant and my tongue has a very tender spot where it must be rubbing.
How is the TPA a few weeks in? Do you ever really get used to it? Does the gap between the cross bar and your palate close so food doesn't get stuck? Is this dependant on the tightening of braces or does this happen soon after fitment?