Choosing an ortho - self-ligating vs not

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Recordaras

Choosing an ortho - self-ligating vs not

#1 Post by Recordaras »

Hi all,

At the age of 36 I’m about to embark on my second braces journey. I’ve currently had two consults with two orthodontists and while I have a third scheduled for next week I’m thinking of canceling it and going with one of the two I’ve already spoken with. The cost, proposed treatment time etc are practically identical, both are easy for me to get to, have great reviews, a friendly office staff and made me feel very comfortable.

The primary difference appears to be this:
- ortho #1 quoted self-ligating braces. It was my first conversation and I assumed that’s what is standard at their office - he didn’t play it up or say that they were better in any way.
- ortho #2 said that after about 6 years of experience with SL she stopped using them and only offers traditional. She said that she felt they produced a better result because they were easier to fine tune and she wasn’t as happy with the results she was getting from SL.

Has anyone heard this opinion before? I was slightly leaning towards ortho #1 because I figured not having elastics would make life a little easier, but I obviously want the best results possible. At the same time I always thought that the brackets weren’t really that important so I’m not sure that ortho #2’s statement was correct?

And I’d also love to hear any other advice about how to make a choice when everything is so close.

djspeece

Re: Choosing an ortho - self-ligating vs not

#2 Post by djspeece »

I had the self-ligating -- I thought they looked more streamlined, not that my ortho offered a choice. I thought this was an interesting question, and found this site which may or may not be of interest: https://diamondbraces.com/braces/self-ligating-braces/ . Best of luck to you!
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

Recordaras

#3 Post by Recordaras »

Thanks Dan! Hmmm, interesting, looks like that confirms ortho #1’s opinion. Maybe I need to add in a third opinion.

Puddles1987

#4 Post by Puddles1987 »

I chose self-ligating braces, in my opinion they are better than traditional braces as you don’t need ligatures therefore more hygienic and they don’t put as much pressure on the teeth as they have self ligating brackets.

I would do your research before seeking another consultation as there is plenty of resource online about the benefits of self ligating brackets.

Recordaras

#5 Post by Recordaras »

I had an in-person consult with ortho #1 (first one was virtual) and it’s interesting how polar opposite their opinions are. I’m going to guess that it’s personal preference, kind of like driving automatic vs stick shift. He said that he gets much faster and better results with SL and only works with traditional on some legacy clients that he inherited from another ortho. I decided to go with the SL option - in-person I just got a better feeling from the doctor, and he has a more conservative prognosis about potential extractions. Getting wisdom teeth removed the week after next and then the braces journey begins!

Recordaras

#6 Post by Recordaras »

I’m also going back and forth on whether to do ceramic for the upper teeth. Price is the same, but the ceramics look quite a bit bulkier.

djspeece

#7 Post by djspeece »

Recordaras wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:57 pm I’m also going back and forth on whether to do ceramic for the upper teeth. Price is the same, but the ceramics look quite a bit bulkier.
They are a bit bulkier. It's a bit of a trade-off -- less metal, but more bulk. You'll hear/read of patients reporting problems when it is time to debrace with ceramics -- that the ortho had to basically chip them off. There is a tool that makes removal a snap -- they just pop off. Ask your ortho about it. Best of luck to you.
Dan

Recordaras

#8 Post by Recordaras »

Thanks! I was initially going to get the ceramics, but read a lot of people say that if they had to do it over they’d just stick with metal for both upper and lower teeth. That threw me off somewhat. I’m pretty practical and not self conscious so leaning towards the metal at this point for the sake of comfort.

djspeece

#9 Post by djspeece »

Recordaras wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:07 pm Thanks! I was initially going to get the ceramics, but read a lot of people say that if they had to do it over they’d just stick with metal for both upper and lower teeth. That threw me off somewhat. I’m pretty practical and not self conscious so leaning towards the metal at this point for the sake of comfort.
That makes complete sense to me. Best of luck.
Dan

desertd

#10 Post by desertd »

Recordaras wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:07 pm Thanks! I was initially going to get the ceramics, but read a lot of people say that if they had to do it over they’d just stick with metal for both upper and lower teeth. That threw me off somewhat. I’m pretty practical and not self conscious so leaning towards the metal at this point for the sake of comfort.
What did you wind up going with?
Metal Damon braces on 3/27/2019 - Sentence 24-30 months - Class II overbite, crossbite. Braces removed 2/10/2022 (34.5 months), positioner since 3/2/2022. My story: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=54263

Recordaras

#11 Post by Recordaras »

[quote=desertd post_id=509649 time=1636480389 user_id=26015]
What did you wind up going with?
[/quote]

I went with self ligating metal and no regrets! The only unpleasant surprise was at my last appointment when they were taking off and repositioning some brackets - whatever they did to clean the cement off of them caused the reapplied ones to be more dull than the others. Fortunately they are on the bottom teeth so it’s not noticeable to anyone other than myself, but something to keep in mind if your top teeth need a lot of help. If they need to do the same with my front top row I’m going to ask if they can put on new ones instead of cleaning/reusing.