SARPE Jaw Surgery and braces at 41 years old

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Ercmicwil

SARPE Jaw Surgery and braces at 41 years old

#1 Post by Ercmicwil »

Hello,

I’ve been wanting fix my teeth since I was about 16 years old. Now at 41 years old I’m finally in a place where I can afford the braces and the one, but possibly two, surgeries required. SAPRE first, then braces, then Le Fort I to correct cross bite if necessary in the final stage.

I’m scheduled for SARPE on April 1st, 2021, and I am scared. I’m not gonna lie. I’m just plain anxious about the entire damn thing. I haven’t had a chance to build trust with my surgeon, and every visit to their office has been a bit strange. I blame COVID to some extent for creating barriers to normal interaction, but I just feel like their attitudes towards my concerns are so dismissive, like this is just no big deal, people get jaw surgery everyday! (I don’t!)

I know it would be helpful for me to hear or read positive affirmations from others experiences with SARPE or upper jaw surgery.

Some questions:

Did any of you who’ve had jaw surgery of any kind get prescribed a sedative the night before or morning of surgery? I feel like this might ease those final moments. I know I’d have to clear it with my anesthesiologist.

For SAPRE, I read something about how the surgeon should not cut the pterygoid plates because it increases bleeding risk without benefit. Is this an absurd thing to ask my surgeon about? I feel so ridiculous. I’ve already asked a lot of questions, of my orthodontist, and two or three oral surgeons over the years.

I’m worried about absurd things, like bleeding to death, or having a stroke, or not waking up from the anesthesia. None of those outcome are desirable! I recognize and have been told they’re extremely unlikely. But when you’re scared, statistics are of little comfort to your lizard brain!

Despite my somewhat irrational fears I’ve been moving this process along and getting things scheduled. It’s just so real all of a sudden. It’s on my calendar!

I’m a pretty healthy guy for 41, but I did just find out I do have mild sleep apnea despite being lean. I’m hopeful the surgery can help widen my sinus cavity for better nasal breathing. I’ve been medically cleared for surgery, but still it’s gonna be a long 5 weeks of waiting if I don’t find some ways to put my mind at ease before surgery.

Anyway, if you’re sensing what I’m going through, and have any advice on how to cope. I’d love to hear it! Thank you so much!

djspeece

Re: SARPE Jaw Surgery and braces at 41 years old

#2 Post by djspeece »

Welcome to the board! There is a subforum devoted to surgery, at viewforum.php?f=15 . You can also use the forum search function as well, and that will probably give you some good insights. There was a member named SirWired who was a real guru when it came to oral surgery, and you can also search for him. I am not sure you can IM members until you have made 7 posts, so be sure to start posting! Best of luck to you -- I fortunately have not required SARPE, so cannot offer any particular insights.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

Ercmicwil

#3 Post by Ercmicwil »

Thank you for the advice!

kirana

#4 Post by kirana »

Hello there!
So I got SARME surgery done a month and I totally get where you are coming from - I remember being a nervous wreck before the surgery and the thing I was worried about was the post operative care, and that I wouldn't go to sleep.
To answer your questions:
- No, I did not get prescribed a sedative.
- I also did not ask my surgeon any questions. I was too worried.
- How I coped was that I channelled my energy into prepping for the surgery - I cleaned up the house, and I prepped my fridge and my freezer with meals, and snacks. I am so glad I did because it kept me busy pre-surgery, and post-surgery I had less to worry about.
What I can recommend post surgery is the following:
1. Icepacks. I stayed for a night in the hospital, and they had these icepacks that wrapped around my entire face. They were heavy, but so helpful in getting the swelling done. I even asked for some to take home.
2. Sleeping elevated. For at least a week - 10 days I slept with two pillows. Now I just keep one pillow, but I try not to sleep on my side. It has helped.
3. Protect your face. They told me to not blow my nose for 2 weeks, and also not to sneeze. So I just stayed away from cold air - no fan or AC. I stayed away from strong smelling food or spices that made me sneeze.
4. Lastly, if you haven't got it yet, get a waterfloss. Cleaning my expander was a pain, and as a result I wasn't eating properly. Once I had the waterpik, I could eat again. I am still being super careful with what I eat, but I am managing.

Ercmicwil

#5 Post by Ercmicwil »

Thank you for the reply! I’m glad you’re doing well. I’ve been managing the anxiety much better once I stopped looking for things on the internet to scare me!

I just had nasal surgery on Monday to improve my breathing. Septoplasty, turbinate reduction, and a fix for nasal valve collapse! I think it’s going to make recovery from SARPE/SARME much more comfortable to be finally be able to properly breath through my nose.

I’ll certainly be taking all of your advice! I found some good ice packs on Amazon and I’ve already got my waterpik!

Thank you and I wish you well on the rest of your recovery and orthodontic treatment!

Ciao78

#6 Post by Ciao78 »

Hello
I'm also a candidate for surgery.
I have to do exactly the same thing.
I am a third skeletal class head to head with posterior bilateral crossbite.
I'm 43 years old.
How did it go in your case?
How is your orthodontic treatment progressing?