Correcting Deep Bite While Creating a Smile Arc

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bigheadedfrog

Correcting Deep Bite While Creating a Smile Arc

#1 Post by bigheadedfrog »

I've only had braces for 2 weeks, but have some concern about bracket placement. My orthodontist placed the brackets low on my maxillary incisors, almost to the biting edge. My teeth currently don't show when I smile and they're also pretty much straight across. I really want longer front teeth that follow my lower lip line when I smile. All my research indicates that brackets should be placed higher up near the gums to create this effect.

With a deep bite however, my front teeth currently almost cover the bottom ones and have been causing wear and chipping on the bottom.

Has anyone had a deep bite corrected and also had upper incisors extruded (made longer?). I'm having a lot of anxiety thinking my ortho is heading in the wrong direction here!

djspeece

Re: Correcting Deep Bite While Creating a Smile Arc

#2 Post by djspeece »

The placement of brackets is somewhat of an art, and reflect the desired end result. But, given your concerns, just ask your ortho about it at your next visit, and have him/her explain the rationale and overall plan for your particular case. I have a feeling that the discussion will put you at ease. Best of luck to you.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

bigheadedfrog

Re: Correcting Deep Bite While Creating a Smile Arc

#3 Post by bigheadedfrog »

Thanks...guess I'll have to wait a bit for a detailed explanation from my orthodontist.