Braces casuing laugher lines?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Yvette

Braces casuing laugher lines?

#1 Post by Yvette »

Hello everyone!

I'm 27 and got braces on the 17th of November. I've been saving up for ages so I was excited. However, around three weeks ago I noticed a laughter line developing on one side of my face (when I'm not smiling, it's static.) The line itself goes from my nose to half way to the corner of my lip. I shrugged and didn't think much of it, thinking it would vanish in a day or so. Now the line/crease has deepened and another is starting to form on the other side.

I have only noticed this line since getting braces installed. I've otherwise never had laughter lines.

I take good care of my skin and I feel a bit helpless in what to do. I've been hoping the line will disappear when I get the braces off, but it's deepening by the day so I'm unsure.

I would be grateful for any advice, or even reassurance about this. If anyone experienced the same did the lines go after the braces were removed? Did anything help?

Thank you,
Yvette

djspeece

Re: Braces casuing laugher lines?

#2 Post by djspeece »

My initial reaction was that perhaps the creases (let's not use the "w" word) due to some minor swelling due to the expected inflammatory response in the peri-oral area when the braces are applied, or perhaps even after an adjustment or the application of fresh powerchains. Did this happen shortly after a visit to the ortho (I'm guessing you made a visit to the ortho about one month after they were applied)? Of course if you're like me, you might spend more time looking at your face and mouth in the mirror. In my case I was always looking for some miracle but what I found were more flaws. I learned not to look in the mirror :lol: . So, my SWAG is that you will see them come and go in rhythm with your visits to the ortho. Best of luck to you!
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

Adeade

#3 Post by Adeade »

Hey Yvette, same thing is happening to me. I’m also 27. I have good skin and my teeth weren’t really bad before. Honestly the orthodontist told me I didn’t really need it but I wanted to fix one crooked tooth and the small crowding at the bottom. I’ve been doing facial yoga to help but idk if it’s working. Someone on Reddit messaged me and said it should go back to normal - my muscles will rest differently. I’m trying to be hopeful but everyone’s case is different. I’m prepared to try the nuface when I get them off, which is like 2-3 months. Also I told my orthodontist but they made me feel crazy. 😕

djspeece

#4 Post by djspeece »

Two possibilities come to mind. I found myself choosing foods that did not require a lot of chewing, and also did not talk as much as I did prior to braces. It could be that the affected muscles are atrophying (shrinking) due to being used less, and as a result the wrinkle lines are appearing. I can't exactly explain it from an anatomical perspective, but who knows. The other possibility is that you are eating fewer calories, and the weight loss is playing a role in the wrinkles appearing since your face has less subcutaneous fat. If you've lost weight in the past few weeks, then that could be a factor. You are now approaching your fourth month in braces, so I would think if things were to return to baseline they would be happening about now.
Best of luck to you.
Dan

Adeade

#5 Post by Adeade »

Update: Soooo my smile lines are going back to normal… which is weird cause I literally woke up one day and saw that it softened out. A couple of days earlier, I went to get my final wire on my bottom row (next appointment I will get the final wire for the top row). I was very sore and barely ate those next couple of days. Maybe they are returning back to its baseline like Dan mentioned in his post. Either way I am holding my breath and hoping that it doesn’t get worse! I should be getting my braces off in the next 2 months, so I’ll update this thread in case anyone goes go through the same thing in the future haha.

djspeece

#6 Post by djspeece »

Good news all the way around! Congrats on getting to the home stretch!
Dan