Help my gap has started to open within one day

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Puddles1987

Help my gap has started to open within one day

#1 Post by Puddles1987 »

Hello

I am currently wearing the Damon self ligating ceramic braces. The braces are brilliant as not that visible and I am currently 4 month into my treatment. I had a power chain on to close my front gap and to bring my teeth around. At my appointment yesterday the power chain was removed and I was given elastics to wear on my canines.
When I woke up this morning my teeth have already started to move and I have a slight gap (about 1.5/2mm) again.

What should I do?
I am waiting for my dentist to call me back.

djspeece

Re: Help my gap has started to open within one day

#2 Post by djspeece »

Sit tight and wait for the dentist. Any gap that opened that quickly can be quickly closed again, if that is the plan. It is possible that your ortho needed to make room or shift the front teeth a bit, even temporarily, in order to induce movement on the canines. Best of luck to you.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

Puddles1987

#3 Post by Puddles1987 »

Thank you :)

My dentist has just advised to wear the elastics he has gave me to close my anterior bite. As he has fitted a spring he says it should help move the top arch along and the elastics will help with bite so we will see. I’m not seeing him again for 6 weeks so let’s hope it doesn’t undo all the work that he has done

djspeece

#4 Post by djspeece »

Thanks for the update! The good news is that changes occur so slowly, so that minor corrections along the way are not a big deal. I have a feeling that most cases have these sorts of issues pop up. After three years in braces, I was finally at the appointment for getting fitted for retainers. My ortho's practice was to get impressions made with the braces in place (although the arch wires were removed for impressions, and then reapplied). Finally! Well, as my technician was removing the arch wires, she muttered "uh oh" and I asked what the problem was. She said that I now had a small gap in the midline, top. I about had a heart attack. My ortho walked over, said no problem and applied two wire ligatures to bring the two renegade teeth into approximation so that impressions could be made. He said he could make final adjustments so that the gap would not reappear. And, that's exactly what happened! I've been out of braces for about 4-5 years (who's counting at this point) and everything has remained stable. And, I have worn my retainers nearly every night as instructed! Best of luck to you!
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying