Are masks helping you cope with braces??

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Smileop

Are masks helping you cope with braces??

#1 Post by Smileop »

I know a lot of people on this forum are not ashamed of having braces but I’m curious for those that do of having to wear a mask has eased your thoughts a bit knowing they’re hidden from the general population. I was self-conscience when I had them and ultimately was not happy with the results. I’ve seen some friends who recently started some treatment for minor things solely because nobody will be able to tell.

I might be in a similar boat as I’ve found little things that I hate about my smile that my previous doctor ultimately would not fix citing that it’s the best it can get. I have another consult on Monday to discuss my options and if it can be corrected but feel more at ease knowing we are all wearing masks and won’t be so obvious to everybody. Which I know is silly but still have a feeling of being self-conscience

Puddles1987

Re: Are masks helping you cope with braces??

#2 Post by Puddles1987 »

What braces do you have? I have the Damon clear self ligating and most people don’t know I have them due to the 2m rule but yes I think now is the perfect time to start dental work if you feel self conscious.

Smileop

#3 Post by Smileop »

I’m currently finished with treatment although still have concerns that I’d like to address and have had 2 consults to see what the plan would be to fix them. Knowing that masks are basically required everywhere has eased the idea of having to go through with braces knowing they won’t be on full display to the world

weebraces

#4 Post by weebraces »

Certainly. I feel less self conscious when I smile if I have a mask on.

claudiofranck

#5 Post by claudiofranck »

If I needed only braces for my treatment I would have donde it a long time ago I have no issues with braces showing. However, and it is a big one, I had been dodging my treatment for over 3 years what really scare me was the tongue crib I needed to help with my tongue thrust, without it having braces would have been for nothing since my bite would open again and would need braces again. So I avoided it. But it started created bigger issues than only esthetics, a few teeth were showing gum retraction because of the tongue thrust and I would eventually start losing teeth, so I finally got it installed. Yes it is uncomfortable, yes I cannot talk properly but I have improved a lot but OMG the changes in just 5 months without braces are amazing the gaps have all but one closed, the open bite closed a lot, I cannot touch my top tu bottom teeth but is almost there. You can read my thread on it for more details.
No on to this subject YES having to wear a mask was really the biggest help I needed to finally get it. Now I don't even care if it shows but I will wear my mask until I get the vaccine. It shows on zoom meetings and on zoom hangouts with friends and I don't car anymore. But yes it was instrumental in me finally taking the plunge and couldn't be happier that I finally did it. Now I kick myself for not doing it earlier. Braces come on in a month or 2.

Regards

HappySmile123

#6 Post by HappySmile123 »

Two weeks with my braces on, I don’t mind that they show, I minded more people seeing my crooked uneven teeth. At the price I paid for my braces I wish everyone could see them. Lol..
In a couple years maybe we won’t have to wear masks and I will get to unveil a beautiful new smile. 🙏🏻

marathon

#7 Post by marathon »

Absolutely! I'd been thinking about braces for years but I was finally ready to take the plunge last summer knowing that I can hide behind a mask for a while. I'm 5 months in and they've straightened out a bit now but to be honest, the first few months had a lot of wonky things going on with my bite and weird gaps appearing, so I'm thankful to have been wearing a mask.

The other pandemic-related thing is that I'm not dining out. I'm sure that will be another challenge, when I have to be careful what I order so I don't have visible food stuck in my teeth all dinner, or have to ask if menu items will have crunchy things like nuts that could damage the braces, or figuring out having to brush my teeth in a public restroom after eating, etc. I currently don't have to worry about any of that!

desertd

#8 Post by desertd »

I'm much more comfortable out in public with a mask on with braces. I never got used to having my braces visible even having them for over a year before masks.
Metal Damon braces on 3/27/2019 - Sentence 24-30 months - Class II overbite, crossbite. Braces removed 2/10/2022 (34.5 months), positioner since 3/2/2022. My story: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=54263