Thoughts on orofacial myology?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

farmboy

Thoughts on orofacial myology?

#1 Post by farmboy »

Has anyone here has experience with orofacial myology treatment? I've found only a couple of older posts on here with one person recommending it, and my search has yielded only one journal article on the subject, which provided inconclusive results on orofacial myology's efficacy in regards to orthodontia.

I should have been out of braces some time ago, but unanticipated movement (molars rotating when they shouldn't), my teeth will remain jailed through the summer, likely into fall.

The amount of unwanted movement in my mouth has alarmed my general dentist, who thinks that my tongue may be interfering with my bite correction (I'm in braces because poor tongue posture undid the work from having braces a decade ago). My dentist strongly suggested that I see an orofacial myologist (my dentist has a strong interest in that subject area).

Dutifully, I called the myologist. She asked me questions about my orthodontic work. She said she was concerned about me having proper tongue posture and wanted to start work because it may turn out that I may need jaw surgery (!) to correct my bite. She also said she'd like to work on my mouth breathing (I'm not a mouth breather) and brought up sleep issues (I didn't mention sleep issues). Finally, when she e-mailed me some financial information, she sent me the name of a 200-page book on the importance of open airways and said it was "required reading" before we even have our initial consultation.

This myologist leaves me with the impression that she's a hammer looking for a nail. She's never even had a consultation with me, yet seems to think my ortho work may need to be altered to allow for jaw surgery and wants me to read a book on airways and breathing when all I wanted was some guidance on tongue posture.

Am I being too critical? What are your thoughts/experiences?

bbsadmin

Re: Thoughts on orofacial myology?

#2 Post by bbsadmin »

You may want to read this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=47522

Also, search this message board for the following words:
orthotropics
Mew

As far as I can tell, it is all considered pseudoscience.

One thing I will mention, however, is that if tongue position is causing your teeth to shift, learning correct tongue position is a good thing. I had to do this, myself (I'd had an open bite before braces). I never saw a therapist for it. I just concentrated on keeping my tongue in a better position after my braces came off (I had researched it).
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!