Allergies

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

denferjr88

Allergies

#1 Post by denferjr88 »

I wore braces and Everytime I got a new wire my face would get more swollen. The facial swelling never went away after braces.. does this sound like allergies?

bbsadmin

Re: Allergies

#2 Post by bbsadmin »

Yes, it sounds exactly like an allergy to either nickel or latex.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

denferjr88

#3 Post by denferjr88 »

bbsadmin wrote:
> Yes, it sounds exactly like an allergy to either nickel or latex.

Going to the doc and getting allergy meds will help right? I'm hoping there is a solution since it didn't clear up on its own.

bbsadmin

#4 Post by bbsadmin »

An allergy to latex or nickel can become life-threatening if you have repeated exposure over time. It's nothing to take lightly. Be sure to tell both your orthodontist AND your regular medical doctor.

Your brackets and arch wired can be changed out for non-nickel ones that are hypoallergenic.
Your elastic ligatures can be changed out of non-latex ones that are hypoallergenic.

Merely taking an antihistamine or a steriod will not make this problem go away if it is an allergy. You will need to have the hardware changed out.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

denferjr88

#5 Post by denferjr88 »

bbsadmin wrote:
> An allergy to latex or nickel can become life-threatening if you have
> repeated exposure over time. It's nothing to take lightly. Be sure to tell
> both your orthodontist AND your regular medical doctor.
>
> Your brackets and arch wired can be changed out for non-nickel ones that
> are hypoallergenic.
> Your elastic ligatures can be changed out of non-latex ones that are
> hypoallergenic.
>
> Merely taking an antihistamine or a steriod will not make this problem go
> away if it is an allergy. You will need to have the hardware changed out.

I don't wear braces anymore :/ .. the problem (swollen face) never went away once I took them off. I'm pretty confused on what's wrong with me.

bbsadmin

#6 Post by bbsadmin »

What sort of retainer do you wear?

denferjr88

#7 Post by denferjr88 »

I had one but I lost it.. I tried taking Allegra 24hrs for two days now and I'm seeing improvements with my health. I might've had allergies unrelated to my braces lol