COVID19 - can't get my braces off for foreseeable future!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Meowmeowbeans2

COVID19 - can't get my braces off for foreseeable future!

#1 Post by Meowmeowbeans2 »

Unexpected consequences for orthodontia... 😭 #bracesforever

I hope this email finds you well. We are contacting you in regards to your upcoming orthodontic appointment.

As we continue to monitor the coronavirus (COVID-19) situation very closely, there are actions we need to take based on guidance from public health experts and government officials. The virus can be spread through direct contact or aerosol droplets. From your chart, it looks like we were planning on potentially removing some of the braces. When removing braces, we use a handpiece to polish off the glue and adhesive left on the teeth. This procedure causes aerosol droplets and we do not currently have the proper equipment recommended by the CDC to safely handle this (hazmat suits and N95 respirator masks for everyone in the office). Unfortunately, we are not able to remove braces at this time.

The health and safety of our patients is, as always, my #1 priority. We are still more than happy to see you on Wednesday for a general adjustment or reschedule your appointment for a later date so we can remove the braces if possible. Just let me know what you would prefer to do!

16 month sentence December 2018 to April 2020... Debraced May 2020 with only a 2 month COVID-19 delay!
My braces story: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=54116

SinkFullOfDinner

Re: COVID19 - can't get my braces off for foreseeable future!

#2 Post by SinkFullOfDinner »

I hadn't even thought about the impact on ortho or dentist appointments until seeing this and twedledee's post. It makes sense that those polishers can fling stuff airborne, but what about the stuff that flies off when they're blasting your teeth with air during prep, or spraying the water streams?

Other than no debonding appointments, what if someone pops a bracket? They always buff off the prior adhesive with that same "handpiece" before the applying the new, so will they now just wait to replace the bracket? You might see that hashtag start to trend!

bbsadmin

#3 Post by bbsadmin »

I've been reading posts on social media about people who are getting their orthodontic appointments postponed or canceled due to this crisis. Most jaw surgeries are being canceled, which is devastating to people who have been planning the surgery for months. I even read one post from a person who got laid off and is now losing their insurance as a result, so their surgery is now put off indefinitely!

This virus crisis is turning the lives of many people upside down. People with orthodontic treatment will just have to put their treatment on hold as much as possible -- stay in the same aligner trays, keep their braces on, only see the dentist or orthodontist for an emergency, etc.

The AAO just canceled its annual meeting/trade show (early May, Atlanta), which is an enormous thing (it's a huge show, and I was going to be there to exhibit for DentaKit/ArchWired). The ADA is also recommending that dentists cancel or postpone elective procedures. These are crazy times!

I expect that most urban areas will be on some sort of lockdown or shelter-in-place soon. We started ours here in Northern California yesterday. So far, I don't know anyone who has the virus, and I intend to stay home as much as possible during this 30 day period.

Stay well, everyone! And please, contribute whatever you want to this thread -- frustrations, humor -- whatever!
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

Smileop

#4 Post by Smileop »

A friend of mine was scheduled to get her braces off this week before her wedding. She went on a rant about how all appointments are cancelled with the exception of emergencies and that getting her braces off is not considered an emergency. Her wedding is still on in 3 weeks and has no clue how she will be able to get her braces off before the big day

bbsadmin

#5 Post by bbsadmin »

Smileop wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:52 am A friend of mine was scheduled to get her braces off this week before her wedding. She went on a rant about how all appointments are cancelled with the exception of emergencies and that getting her braces off is not considered an emergency. Her wedding is still on in 3 weeks and has no clue how she will be able to get her braces off before the big day
If necessary, she could always get the braces airbrushed/photoshopped out of her pictures.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

Smileop

#6 Post by Smileop »

True. Just worried about being wired up for the big day and now unfortunately against her will

Meowmeowbeans2

#7 Post by Meowmeowbeans2 »

To follow up, I went in for just an adjustment today, and the staff all had bigger, fancier masks on. I was told they have a list of priority people who just need their braces taken off, and we’ll get called in as soon as it’s safe - currently the guidance estimated in 6 weeks.

Other people in the office were getting adjustment appointments scheduled 8-9 weeks out. Next to me a little girl had her expander removed but they had to leave all the glue on her teeth.

Crazy times! Praying these are off in May now...

16 month sentence December 2018 to April 2020... Debraced May 2020 with only a 2 month COVID-19 delay!
My braces story: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=54116

djspeece

#8 Post by djspeece »

Best wishes to all of you for good health, and patience.
I'm heading into my first hospital (Aultman, in Canton Ohio), where my career started 50 years ago, to volunteer my services as an RN. Wish me luck.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

assertives

#9 Post by assertives »

Smileop wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:52 am A friend of mine was scheduled to get her braces off this week before her wedding. She went on a rant about how all appointments are cancelled with the exception of emergencies and that getting her braces off is not considered an emergency. Her wedding is still on in 3 weeks and has no clue how she will be able to get her braces off before the big day
Photoshop! But I'm surprised her wedding is still going ahead though. I know someone who had to cancel her wedding, and several others talking about hotels and caterers cancelling their orders for their weddings and other events as well.

Gladysp2

#10 Post by Gladysp2 »

I was due to be debonded today after a long wait for an appointment. I’ve been in braces for 14 months. I didn’t realise any of the above until I turned up for my appointment today and was told my braces will be staying on for the foreseeable future. I’m so upset, don’t underestimate the mental health impact of this on people such as the lady with a wedding coming up and myself who saw today as a bit of happiness in a rubbish world. I’m an NHS nurse I get why they are doing it, but I think I’m allowed to feel sorry for myself today.

assertives

#11 Post by assertives »

djspeece wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:53 am Best wishes to all of you for good health, and patience.
I'm heading into my first hospital (Aultman, in Canton Ohio), where my career started 50 years ago, to volunteer my services as an RN. Wish me luck.
Stay safe!