Got Braces in College at 21

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ChiefPatty

Got Braces in College at 21

#1 Post by ChiefPatty »

Hello everyone, I’m very excited to be back on the journey to straight teeth. I’m a 21 year old male and a junior in college.

I started my treatment in my home state (I’m currently an out of state student) last February (of 2019) with metal braces to correct crowding and an 80% deep bite. I was told it would take about 18 months to finish. I ended up having them for about 4 months before I decided to switch to Invisalign since I was moving out of state for college and I felt it would be easier to be social if I switched.

By the end of my first semester I actually ended up getting in touch with my orthodontist to discuss the possibility of switching back to braces because I ended up hating the Invisalign trays so much. For me, they became too much of a hassle to keep clean and more importantly wearing them for the time needed each day. Despite being several states away my orthodontist agreed that switching back to braces would be the better route. I was told that treatment would be probably take an additional 3 years (4 years total) since I would only be able to get into appointments during my break and my time with Invisalign left my teeth looking about the same as they did at the 5 month mark when my braces were first removed. Honestly, I’m pretty bummed that I’m still looking at multiple more years with braces, but I’d absolutely take it over having Invisalign.

My first few weeks with them this semester I was terrified I was going to get roasted for getting them, but everyone has been super supportive. I honestly couldn’t be happier with my decision even if it’s more multiple more years.

Here is a picture of the day I got them (December 16th)

https://imgur.com/a/iTTaHNB

djspeece

Re: Got Braces in College at 21

#2 Post by djspeece »

Congrats on your mid-course correction, and best of luck to you!
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

desertd

#3 Post by desertd »

Welcome!
Metal Damon braces on 3/27/2019 - Sentence 24-30 months - Class II overbite, crossbite. Braces removed 2/10/2022 (34.5 months), positioner since 3/2/2022. My story: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=54263

Jethro

#4 Post by Jethro »

Congrats on your decision to move forward with treatment...the time will fly by. As you've discovered, no one really cares about adults with braces so enjoy that college social life!

All the Best,

Jethro

ivorynectar

#5 Post by ivorynectar »

I agree! Nobody really notices adults in braces...other than to say 'Oh, I thought something looked different about you but I didn't know what' (after you tell them about your braces.)

Hold your head high ....the time goes fast, and at the end of it you will have a beautiful smile.

One other tip. After I got braces I tried to hide them with my lips and didn't smile a lot. Go ahead and smile. Like I said, people just don't care that you have braces. But not smiling makes you look grumpy, and that impacts people's perception of you.

desertd

#6 Post by desertd »

Agreed. Braces are nothing to worry about. I would try to hide mine but then again I'm a bit of a grump anyway. But still, keep up the good work and if you ever have any questions, comments, or if you want to share updates, don't be a stranger!
Metal Damon braces on 3/27/2019 - Sentence 24-30 months - Class II overbite, crossbite. Braces removed 2/10/2022 (34.5 months), positioner since 3/2/2022. My story: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=54263

BracedRico

#7 Post by BracedRico »

Agreed, no one will notice and your teeth will look great! How is your treatment going?

claudiofranck

#8 Post by claudiofranck »

Nowadays braces on adults are a non issue. I had the same fears but worse because I got a tongue crib it is not used often in adults really affects your speech at first and it never gets 100% until you remove it and looks terrible. I finally got after years of fearing it and I was not as bad as I thought. And very little getting roasted, I even roast myself it helps me when I make fun of myself. Just enjoy the experience and you will be happy every time you notice changes specifically when people notice before you and they will