Hello! Braces in mid to late fifties

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Mermaid

Hello! Braces in mid to late fifties

#1 Post by Mermaid »

Hello! I just got braces a couple of weeks ago and expect to have them for about 3 years. I will have Lefort I surgery in about a year as well. I am not sure this is an active forum, but am looking forward to reading and learning. :)

desertd

Re: Hello! Braces in mid to late fifties

#2 Post by desertd »

It's a lot quieter than it used to be but it's still somewhat active. I need to pop in more often myself. Welcome and best of luck to you!
Metal Damon braces on 3/27/2019 - Sentence 24-30 months - Class II overbite, crossbite. Braces removed 2/10/2022 (34.5 months), positioner since 3/2/2022. My story: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=54263

djspeece

#3 Post by djspeece »

Agree, things have really quieted down, but there are still people reading the posts...just not responding for some reason.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

ivorynectar

#4 Post by ivorynectar »

Hi -

I have been lurking on here for the past couple of years, but never felt like I had anything to offer.

I am also in my mid-fifties, and JUST got de-braced this week! I had them on for just over two years. It sucked a bit, but it was totally worth it! I really wish I would have done this decades ago! It has made such a tremendous difference in how I see myself. And in how others see me.

The discomfort of the braces caused me to lose some weight at the beginning. Which was so exciting, I actually got motivated to lose more weight and am down about 30 pounds.

If you have any questions for me I am happy to answer!

MummaFish48

#5 Post by MummaFish48 »

Hello
I have also just had braces on in my late 50's! Was going to have them 6 yrs ago and chickened out, then again 3 yrs ago, but this time I went for it....Oh my days.....why did I worry? they are on now and I am fine with them....2 weeks in and a little impatient to see some movement, but it really is no big deal. I expect they will be on a year or so, but now I have started I wish I had done it years ago!! Good Luck with yours!! Lots of encouragement here....

Mermaid

#6 Post by Mermaid »

Thanks, all.
I'm about 5 weeks in, and so far it's been fine. I am having some "leveling" devices put on in about 2 weeks, I suspect that's where the fun will really begin. I will spend about 9 or 10 months with an ever-worsening bite since I have a class II malocclusion and will have surgery to fix it. I guess my ortho wants a level maxilla before the surgery. They tell me I may have trouble eating. No problem with that. I could stand to lose a few pounds anyway.

The braces are fine, I don't mind them at all. In fact, I had chronic migraines all of my adult life, and they ceased suddenly and completely as soon as the wire was attached to my brackets and started to exert pressure. I have never heard of such a thing, but I am not imagining it. Tells me all I need to know about the necessity of these braces and the surgery upcoming.

Truthfully, I am dreading the surgery, but I will do it. I am committed now.

Speck

#7 Post by Speck »

Welcome to the forum and bravo on making the decision to get your bite squared away!

I'm into the second year of treatment at 58 years of age.
-Andy

GrantJ

#8 Post by GrantJ »

Hi, I'm 51 and having my six months smile consultation on Saturday and any advice would be welcome. I have the usual questions and I am quite nervous as my teeth are not great with fillings etc. that is mainly why i have chosen the 6MS as I really only want my front teeth straightened out. Thanks

ivorynectar

#9 Post by ivorynectar »

I’d do some research on 6 month smiles. It seems like some people have had bad experiences with that.

I just finished two years or regular braces. It was only my front teeth that were crooked. But to straighten out the front teeth, you are going to impact the back teeth. You might end up with straight front teeth, but a bad bite that doesnt line up. I ended up with straight teeth and a good bite. That would not have been the case if i did six month smile.

I urge you to get a consult with an orthodontist too. Ask about the issues with your fillings and what not. And ask their opinion of the six month smile.

But ‘yay you!’ For looking into improving your teeth. I am soooo glad I did it. Worth the time, money and discomfort!

Carno

#10 Post by Carno »

I'd be cautiously about the 6 month braces as well. I've heard various things about the effectiveness of that treatment, whereas for full braces it generally been all the same.

GrantJ

#11 Post by GrantJ »

Thanks for your advice, I went ahead with my consultation last Saturday which seemed positive but I will take on board your comments. I have had a previous consultation regarding full braces and will mull over which is the best course of treatment for me. I am due to go back and really under no obligation to proceed, its a big decision and I will take my time.

Mermaid

#12 Post by Mermaid »

Here is my before photo, the day I got my braces on. As you can see, I have quite of correction to be done.
I am so excited that my orthodontist and oral surgeon say they can fix me, I have gone through a lot of orthodontists who were afraid to take me on. It's honestly going to change my life, and I am so grateful.

My class II malocclusion and crossbite started when I was a kid, and my parents took me to an orthodontist who had one lateral incisor pulled, and then we never followed through, resulting in my whole maxilla becoming deformed like this.

https://ibb.co/t2NNm7m

Mermaid

#13 Post by Mermaid »

Even with the delays in treatment due to COVID-19, I am so happy so far with this. I am more confident already, and it just feels better. I am thrilled.
It's impressive how fast things are moving. I still have a very long way to go, including major surgery, but I am not afraid to smile anymore.

https://ibb.co/mXS4dCy

Mermaid

#14 Post by Mermaid »

I see now that I am unable to view anyone else's photos, so maybe nobody can see mine. Is that true?

bbsadmin

#15 Post by bbsadmin »

We can see your photos!
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!