I need three root canals

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

melere

I need three root canals

#1 Post by melere »

I'm in month 12 of braces here in Canada. I had four extractions and I'm on the road to jaw surgery for a class 2 with open bite. I have a couple of years left of treatment.

I just got back from the endodontist this morning and I need three, possibly FOUR root canals just on the top right quadrant--3, 4, and 6, with 7 being a concern as well. 3 was tipped clear out the front of my jaw, 4 was the anchor for my retraction springs (+ elastics for two months to speed up closing the gap), and 6 & 7 were being moved forward. He confirmed it was braces-related. I can't believe something so needless happened and I can't bear to think about the state of the rest of my teeth. I'm depressed and devastated.

I have NO idea what I should do or if it's even worth it continuing treatment. I chose my ortho because he had the best reviews--the other two in town have some awful reviews but there was nothing alarming in my ortho's, besides a questionable bedside manner, so I don't think it's that viable to get a second opinion.

What are my options here? Any help is appreciated.

djspeece

Re: I need three root canals

#2 Post by djspeece »

So sorry to hear this -- hard to tell if this is due to negligence on the ortho's part or just bad luck, one of the risks of braces. I would ask the endodontist about the likelihood of needing even more root canals (beyond #7) should you continue with braces. It's just so unfortunate that this was not discovered before the need for root canals were required. Next, I would probably directly speak with your ortho -- in private and let him know the situation and see his response and possible explanation, and an explanation of any alternatives -- assuming you are still going to proceed with surgery down the road. And I would ask about the risks and benefits of not undergoing surgery to get a more complete assessment of your options. If possible, try to be as objective and calm as possible when you speak with him, and I would not recommend any threats of a malpractice suit (not sure how that works in Canada). Of course you don't want to sign any documents that would waive your right to future legal action or hold the ortho harmless. Of course you'll want to consult with your oral surgeon and get his/her assessment of the current situation and treatment options, and risks/benefits.

I'm always a bit skeptical about reviews on social media -- they tend to be written by the most satisfied or disappointed. I suspect most are based on bedside manner, rather than actual professional skill and credentialling (e.g., board certification). So, please consider a second opinion with one or both of them.

Best of luck to you.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

melere

Re: I need three root canals

#3 Post by melere »

Thank you so much! I will be seeing my ortho today and I'll take your advice. I'll see if I can call my oral surgeon, as he's located 6 hours away. I need to call him anyway because they sent out the surgery request thing last March and I still haven't received a date, lol. I'll call the endo as well, they didn't give a definitive answer on that during the appointment but it sounded like braces/surgery were still on the table.