Second Opinion Before Braces Off?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

FoxieFoxxo

Second Opinion Before Braces Off?

#1 Post by FoxieFoxxo »

Has anyone ever got a second opinion from another orthodontist before getting their braces off? If so, how did that change your treatment, did you switch orthodontist, what was needed for a second opinion dental records wise?

My orthodontist wants to take my braces off before Christmas as they are "pleased" with the results (after two years and not the two and a half estimated) despite me pointing out certain tweaks, for example I have asked if we could pull my overjet back any further and they always say things like "we could" and then trail off about my gums but never fully explain to me why and say "you wouldn't want them too close together" although I just said I did and they are far from close (top and bottom from hitting) They did this with me trying elastics to align my midline shift too and prattled on about my gums but I insisted and have been wearing elastics for awhile (8-12mo)and nothing happened to my gums but my midline is perfect.

Because I decided not to get jaw surgery, I get this feeling that they are just "over it" and get a weird impression. They haven't even changed my wire in the last 8-10 months, it is the same wire.

Would you get a second opinion if you had bad vibes?

Any response would be helpful,

thanks!

assertives

Re: Second Opinion Before Braces Off?

#2 Post by assertives »

I almost did, but ultimately didn't go ahead with it. I even got to the point of emailing a couple of ortho offices to enquire if they provide 2nd opinions. I too had a couple of "minor" tweaks I wasn't happy about and wanted to correct when my ortho said the braces could come off in a month.

My ortho told me that as doctors, they see things differently from patients. So, I would say talk to your ortho about your concerns (you can either set up a longer appointment just for a consult or email with pictures detailing exactly what corrections you want) and if the outcome of that discussion/email correspondence was not satisfactory and you are still getting weird vibes about it, by all means schedule a 2nd opinion consult.

I would say also to give some thought about what you plan to do with the information if you do end up getting a 2nd opinion and they have different thoughts about your treatment.

FoxieFoxxo

#3 Post by FoxieFoxxo »

[quote=assertives post_id=508090 time=1571377615 user_id=30576]
I almost did, but ultimately didn't go ahead with it. I even got to the point of emailing a couple of ortho offices to enquire if they provide 2nd opinions. I too had a couple of "minor" tweaks I wasn't happy about and wanted to correct when my ortho said the braces could come off in a month.
[/quote]

So you did not have your tweaks further addressed with treatment? Do you mind if I ask if the results worked out, you did not have to go for further treatment/second set of braces?

Thanks for the information and perspective!

assertives

#4 Post by assertives »

I did. I'm actually still in braces. The "minor" adjustments (mainly bite and alignment related) that I wanted ended up adding almost an entire year (and counting) to my original projected treatment duration. Things are almost there now, although some of the adjustments I wanted were not really achievable due to the discrepancies in the shape/size of my teeth. Things are likely as good as it will ever get, and I've mostly accepted if there will not be anymore improvements.

I'm glad I went through the extra year because although the improvements were minor, it helped me to see the limitations that my ortho has to work with and reconcile why he wanted to get the braces off a year ago. It was essentially a year additional in treatment with minor improvement which he likely already knew then but let me continue because I wouldn't let it go and even told him I don't mind paying extra or getting braces a second round just to correct those issues.

The reason why I had initially wanted a 2nd opinion was because I didn't fully trust him when he say the braces are ready to come off and there isn't much that he can do. I felt he was just taking the easy/shortcut way out and get the patient out of the door. But he did suggest getting a mould done so that I can point out to him what I wanted. I took pictures and notated what I wanted and emailed him. He agreed to help me attempt those adjustments, so I decided not to go ahead with getting 2nd opinions. Hence I would strongly encourage you have a discussion with your ortho too.