How long before they put on your lower brace?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ladybear28

How long before they put on your lower brace?

#1 Post by ladybear28 »

Impatient newbie here!

I've had my top (self-ligating) brace on for a grand total of 4 weeks (ha!) and I'm due to have my first check-up in a week's time.

I've seen a pretty impressive amount of movement already; should I be preparing to have my bottom brackets put on soon?

How long was it for you before they put on your lower braces; and how different from the top does it feel?

I've heard people say the lower jaw is much more painful, so I'm both excited (as that's where my worst overcrowding is) and pretty nervous....

Thanks in advance!

assertives

Re: How long before they put on your lower brace?

#2 Post by assertives »

I think it depends on what your bite is like before you got your braces and how fast your teeth moves. Personally, I got my lower ones 2 or 3 weeks after my top ones. My top and bottom teeth were not really in conflict though. My coworker who went to the same ortho as me got her lower ones first and then several months later, got the top ones.

As for how they felt, I would say they feel about the same, but it's definitely more challenging for me to floss and the bottom ones than the top because of the smaller sized bottom teeth.

vampirefangs22

Re: How long before they put on your lower brace?

#3 Post by vampirefangs22 »

I got my lower ones a few months before the upper ones. As for the pain, the upper ones were more painful to me.

Lower braces - Halloween 2019
Upper braces - January 9th, 2020
Debonded since May 4th, 2023