Speed braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

PrivatelyE5

Speed braces

#1 Post by PrivatelyE5 »

Speed braces, anyone had them? Know anything about them? Have opinions about them? I haven't been able to glean much from their website.

assertives

Re: Speed braces

#2 Post by assertives »

I personally don't have any experience with them or know anyone who did have them, but I came across quite a few videos on youtube of people documenting their experiences with it. You can check those out.

PrivatelyE5

#3 Post by PrivatelyE5 »

I'll take a peek. I want to make sure that it's not some sort of trendy brand that doesn't actually make much of a difference.

Jami1

#4 Post by Jami1 »

From what I have read, they are purely cosmetic and do not do anything for bite correction. I have also read that sometimes they can do more harm than good. I would definitely do my research.... everyone’s case is different and it might be fine for some and not for others. Good luck!

PrivatelyE5

#5 Post by PrivatelyE5 »

I think you might be confusing speed braces and fast braces.

coogbraces

#6 Post by coogbraces »

I can answer this! I'm in Speed Braces, in month 6 of treatment, out of a quoted 21. Before I chose Speed Braces with my ortho I saw 2 others that offer traditional braces, and they both quoted me 24 months with 2 top and 2 bottom extractions. Speed Braces was also about $800 cheaper than my other 2 options. I live in Houston, TX and all 3 orthodontists were close in proximity and are registered, board-certified orthodontists, not dentists who've done a weekend class on braces.

My ortho told me she thought my case didn't need extractions, and that she could create some space by widening my palate with the braces. She had great reviews online and a busy practice so I trusted that she wasn't just telling me what I wanted to hear, and I went with her. Based on my memory of her ELI5, she does speed brace technology in her practice because the ligatures in traditional braces lose tension over time and it makes them less effective unless you're getting them changed out constantly, and most people don't have time to get the little bands replaced every 2 weeks or so. They also use less "force" on the teeth because the "doors" on the brackets don't get looser as rubber bands do, which allows for movement to be steady over time and not just all at once right after you get your wire changed out. I've never had traditional braces, but I think my adjustments are less harsh than others' since I'm still able to chew and bite to some degree after a new wire, unlike those who say they only eat smoothies and pudding and yogurt after adjustments. Personally, I like it because they're super easy to keep clean. I never have to use my orthodontic head on my waterpik to get gunk out of my brackets. I also don't have to worry about choosing rubber band colors either, though the color choice is positive to some folks.

I had a long adjustment yesterday where they did IPR on my front 4 top and bottom teeth to fit, and I don't think I'm having to get extractions at all since they're fitting well into my face. In short, I've had a really positive experience and I'm glad I chose the Speed Braces orthodontist.

PrivatelyE5

#7 Post by PrivatelyE5 »

Thanks this is super helpful. They appear to be the only office that uses them so so I didn't really have a good point of comparison. The cost is basically the same here, a few hundred bucks either way, so far she seems to be the most flexible when it comes to exploring different options for me.