Jagged and uneven molars after shaving.

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

worriedteeth

Jagged and uneven molars after shaving.

#1 Post by worriedteeth »

Hey all,
I've had braces since early January, after getting them on my orthodontist put a hard white putty like substance onto the bottom of my top molars as he said it was needed to keep my top teeth from touching my bottom bracket. I was told it would come off in a few months and when it didn't he said that he would have to use a dremel bit (the only name I know it as, spins quickly and shaves the tooth) to get it off, and proceeded to shave it off the bottom of my tooth. During this process he shaved off points of my molars as well leaving my points uneven, and over time the pressure of the new points affected my bottom molars and grinded into them and in an attempt to fix it he shaved off more of my top molars and now my teeth are not only noticably shorter but jagged and uncomfortable. I've explained this to him and was told it looks fine and not to worry but I feel this is his just brushing it off. I've included a link to labeled images of both teeth and although there are no before I feel the damage done to the first tooth is easily noticeable. If anyone has gone through a similar experience or has any advice it would be greatly appreciated, thanks

https://imgur.com/a/PG0x8lR

djspeece

Re: Jagged and uneven molars after shaving.

#2 Post by djspeece »

I'm not a dental professional (thank god) but I find it hard to believe that the ortho would not be able to tell when he was drilling into a tooth vs. the build-up material. My only comparison would be when grinding out caulking, you can tell immediately when you get to the wood. Do you have "before" pictures for comparison? I couldn't tell from the ones you posted, as they are only the "after" pictures. Without an actual comparison, it might be possible that you are overestimating how much tooth was actually lost. It's also possible that any discomfort now is due to the absence of the build-up, and not the tooth size. But what do I know. I do think it warrants further discussion with your ortho so that you fully understand the situation. Best of luck to you.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying