Ligature wires vs elastics

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

boxerboots

Ligature wires vs elastics

#1 Post by boxerboots »

Is there any disadvantage of using ligature wires to tie in the arch wire, rather than elastics. I just prefer the cleaner look of the ligatures, on non self ligating brackets... but does anyone have any experience of either or both?
Thank you!

desertd

Re: Ligature wires vs elastics

#2 Post by desertd »

I am actually jealous of people with non-self-ligating at times because of the elastic ties. I currently have a lingual arch that uses traditional bracketed bands and my ortho uses wire ties on those. They have a tendency to poke my tongue and/or cause me to wonder what's stuck in my teeth even if I don't have anything stuck there.
Metal Damon braces on 3/27/2019 - Sentence 24-30 months - Class II overbite, crossbite. Braces removed 2/10/2022 (34.5 months), positioner since 3/2/2022. My story: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=54263

assertives

#3 Post by assertives »

I've never had a full mouth of wire ties, just on one tooth that was had the end of a lace back tie. It was such a pain to clean because they don't move. At least with elastics, they are a little flexible and you can get an interdental brush under easily.

Jethro

#4 Post by Jethro »

I've had both during my treatment depending on the movement desired and currently have wire ligs (ties) on my upper arch. Not sure if I have a preference, but the wire ligs take much longer to apply and remove than the elastic variety and they seem to collect more food as well.

All the Best,

Jethro