Will it ever feel comfortable again?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Gia

Will it ever feel comfortable again?

#1 Post by Gia »

Coming up on a year soon, and after a rocky start never thought I'd get this far. The panic and anxiety has gratefully been under control, and essentially nonexistent the past few months. But it's been replaced by my teeth always being uncomfortable. Pain hasn't been a big issue for me, other than the expected - the first week or a day or so after adjustments. But the past couple of months, it hurts all the time. Not severe pain, mostly nagging aching or variable discomfort - when I bite, chew, when my teeth touch, my bite is never comfortable, I'm clenching, and always have a headache. I worry even when they come off my bite will still be uncomfortable now. Will this go away? It's really wearing. My next adjustment is in a couple of weeks, but I don't even know what to ask at this point.

assertives

Re: Will it ever feel comfortable again?

#2 Post by assertives »

Time flies. Can't believe you'll be hitting the one year mark soon! Your bite will get more comfortable as time goes by. Mine was awkward for pretty much the entire duration of my treatment, I have keen senses, so I would absolutely feel it if one tooth/side feels a little higher or is knocking against another tooth that is slightly out of alignment. Now that I'm close to the end of my treatment, my bite is more or less settled, and generally comfortable to chew and I no longer clench at night.

Gia

#3 Post by Gia »

That's great to hear!!!

djspeece

#4 Post by djspeece »

Congrats on getting the anxiety under control - bravo! The discomfort did seem to accumulate as time went by for me -- probably due to the multiple and simultaneous movements of my teeth, plus my increasing impatience with braces -- everything seemed to be annoying with them. One day my bite would be somewhat functional, the next I was ready just to eat pureed food (which I find disgusting, in general). I tried not to be whiney, but in a weird way was annoyed that others did not appreciate my suffering :roll: . Yes, I have issues. It does get better with time -- and sometimes distraction is the best approach - reading, having fun doing adult things, goofing off. Anything but dwelling on the braces. You'll get there - we all do sooner or later. Best of luck to you!
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

Speck

#5 Post by Speck »

Hi, Gia, it's good to hear that the anxious, panicky stuff is over! I can relate to the constant sense of discomfort. Following the last ortho visit for me (seven days ago) my whole head hurt for the first 48 hours and teeth were unusually tender for around six days. Now it's just random pain and wonky bite. I'm with Dan: Engaging in fun activities, goofing off, etc, are good ways to distract from the discomfort associated with braces. Though, I did learn that when SCUBA diving, to avoid an awkward moment by pulling elastics prior to placing the regulator in the mouth. :lol:

Hopefully, things keep going well!
-Andy

Gia

#6 Post by Gia »

Thanks Dan. It's weird that the discomfort and tolerance seem to get harder. Had an adjustment yesterday and discussed bite. But he said it looks like almost perfect class 1, so I guess I'm just not used to a correct bite :-+

On a positive note he says 6-8 more weeks with some additional tweaks, and then some other things he can do when they come off. I go for a recheck in 3 weeks, and if he's not happy with the progress he mentioned lingual buttons.

I'm trying not to get overly excited, but don't think he would have said anything if he wasn't sure, since he's been so helpful at managing my neuroses!