Finishing Phase/Retie

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

lajp

Finishing Phase/Retie

#1 Post by lajp »

Anyone know what a "CK FINISHING PHASE/RETIE" appointment is? What are "finishing elastics?" Are they somehow different than elastics in general? Will I find out if my braces will be ready to be taken off at the next appointment during this appointment?
Braced: 6 March 2018
self-ligating ceramic and metal brackets combo
Estimated Treatment Time: 22 months

Speck

Re: Finishing Phase/Retie

#2 Post by Speck »

Good question. I've sniffed around the web and found little information on what, specifically, happens following the initial treatment phase. I will start the next phase of treatment in around a week and have been told that it will focus on aligning roots. My guess is the ortho will study the panorex (x-ray) and re-position brackets accordingly? Like you, I'm interested to learn about this from a member (or members) of the forum who have personal experience with it.
-Andy

lajp

#3 Post by lajp »

If you don’t mind me asking, why’d you switch from Invisalign?

Speck

#4 Post by Speck »

Handling the trays and routinely having hands in and out of my mouth, particularly during the cold and flu season, was worrisome. And, frankly, daily management of aligners became an intolerable hassle.
-Andy

Lovespain5

#5 Post by Lovespain5 »

lajp wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:34 am Anyone know what a "CK FINISHING PHASE/RETIE" appointment is? What are "finishing elastics?" Are they somehow different than elastics in general? Will I find out if my braces will be ready to be taken off at the next appointment during this appointment?
As I finished my treatment I can easily answer to your question, if I consider my experience. "Finishing elastics" were, in my case, exactly the same as the elastics I wore during my whole treatment. So extra-heavy Class II elastics. But they have been worn after the complete closing of all my gaps (I was treated with 4 premolars extracted) to perfect the Class I occlusion. They are generally slightly less painful than the precedent sets of elastics.
:?:-#):mrgreen:

lajp

#6 Post by lajp »

Oh okay. Yeah I got “heavy” elastics, same shape and configuration. Many, many archwire bends (step outs and stow ips and downs). Braces off in ten days!

Lovespain5

#7 Post by Lovespain5 »

lajp wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:33 pm Oh okay. Yeah I got “heavy” elastics, same shape and configuration. Many, many archwire bends (step outs and stow ips and downs). Braces off in ten days!
Good luck for the last days. I can´t wait to see your results!
:?:-#):mrgreen: