Braces BEFORE extractions?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bracefacev2

Braces BEFORE extractions?

#1 Post by bracefacev2 »

Hello everyone,

I am getting my top braces put on this upcoming Monday.
My orthodontist said he is going to put my braces on FIRST, THEN I will have 2 upper premolars pulled the week or two after..

Is that a normal occurrence?

Also, instead of having the the 2 FIRST premolars extracted, I'm having one first premolar, and a second premolar which doesn't seem to make sense to me.

I'll be bringing it up to my orthodontist on Monday, but just wondering if anyone here has experienced this.

Thanks so much.

desertd

Re: Braces BEFORE extractions?

#2 Post by desertd »

I've heard of this. Not sure why they do if they're just going to take them out just a few weeks later. I've also heard of people having different teeth taken out than the usual because the one usually taken out is healthy & one of the adjacent isn't, etc. The two bicuspids are different sizes so it might be a midline thing too.

I'm supposed to be getting bicuspid extractions... eventually (I'm almost 4 months in myself). My ortho didn't say when but he says he wants to leave them in for now to help build my arch. I'm hoping that this will mean that I might not have to have mine out? Who knows?

Definitely ask your ortho about it.
Metal Damon braces on 3/27/2019 - Sentence 24-30 months - Class II overbite, crossbite. Braces removed 2/10/2022 (34.5 months), positioner since 3/2/2022. My story: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=54263

pcspinheiro

#3 Post by pcspinheiro »

Be really sure you want to do the extractions! There are other ways to solve crowding, class II etc that do not the require the permanent loss of teeth or other facial/smile changes that you may not like. And it's really hard to deal with extraction regret, believe me!

Nozzelnut

#4 Post by Nozzelnut »

Extraction orthodontics should be a last resort; not a first choice.

Just my personal opinion about it.
Round 3 (lifetime) Damon stainless applied 3/16/20 (after 4 weeks attempting invisalign) On for about 18 months
Night time elastics with invisalign retainers; still...
Double jaw surgery was 6/18/15...
Orthodontics never really ends...
I'm emphatically against extraction orthodontics!

clh5086

#5 Post by clh5086 »

If I have extractions it will be close to a year into my braces treatment. It seems awkward to me but we weren't sure of extractions in the beginning.

desertd

#6 Post by desertd »

I am now 16 months in & I still haven't heard for sure that I'm not getting extractions. Hoping at this point it means I won't.
Metal Damon braces on 3/27/2019 - Sentence 24-30 months - Class II overbite, crossbite. Braces removed 2/10/2022 (34.5 months), positioner since 3/2/2022. My story: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=54263